School of Creative Technologies
Dr Wendy Powell
- Qualifications: PhD, BSc Hons, BA. DC, PGCLTHE, PGCRes, DipIT, DIPComputing
- Role Title: Reader in Virtual Reality
- Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth PO1 2DJ
- Telephone: 023 9284 5667
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: School of Creative Technologies
- Faculty: Creative and Cultural Industries
I am a Reader in Virtual Reality at the University of Portsmouth and a subject matter expert in the engineering of virtual reality systems, with 12 years experience in creating and studying virtual environments and interactive applications,. I direct the Virtual Interactions and Applications Research Group at the University of Portsmouth and am also Deputy Director of the Centre for Health Modelling and Informatics. I am a VR Technical Expert for, and Senior Member of, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). I have a particular research interest in the way in which VR alters our perception and behaviour, and implications for the design of VR for rehabilitation.
I originally trained as a Chiropractor and was in private practice for a number of years before returning to education to study for a degree in Computing and Information Technology. This was followed by a PhD in Creative Technologies, studying walking behaviour in virtual reality.
Since 2008 I have been leading the Virtual Reality teaching and research in the School of Creative Technologies, responsible for the development and delivery of the virtual reality curriculum [more information available at University of Portsmouth VR Lab].
I am an active researcher in virtual reality and interactive technologies for health, well-being and education, and also studies the impact of hardware and software on user behaviour and perception. I use my cross-disciplinary background and technical expertise to facilitate innovation and collaboration between academia, healthcare and industry, and have been involved with over £2 million successful research funding, as well as acting as VR expert consultant on a range of industry and academic projects.
- Lecturing on the following units:
- Applications of Virtual Reality
- Tools for Animation
- Final Year Project
- Foundations in Graphics
- Introduction to Computer Graphics
- Designing Interactive Content
- MSc Computer Games Technology supervision
- PhD supervisor and examiner
- Life 3D - This project is creating a prototype of a new interactive teaching tool for molecular visualisation in Bioscience
- Application of Emerging Technologies for Enhanced Mirror Therapy This project is developing a novel application for treatment of phantom limb pain in amputees.
- RITA (Responsive Interactive Advocate) This multi-disciplinary project is creating a new service model for elderly care, designed around a humanised empathetic avatar
- iMoVE (Interactive Motion in Virtual Environments) A number of ongoing research projects studying physical interactions in virtual space