School of Creative Technologies
Dr Wendy Powell
- Qualifications: PhD, BSc Hons, BA. DC, PGCLTHE, PGCRes, DipIT, DIPComputing
- Role Title: Reader in Virtual Reality
- Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth PO1 2DJ
- Telephone: 023 9284 5667
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: School of Creative Technologies
- Faculty: Creative and Cultural Industries
I originally trained as a Chiropractor and was in private practice for a number of years before returning to education to study for a degree in Computing and Information Technology. This was followed by a PhD in Creative Technologies, studying walking behaviour in virtual reality.
Since 2008 I have been a Senior Lecturer in Applications of Virtual Reality in the School of Creative Technologies, responsible for the development and delivery of the virtual reality curriculum [more information available at University of Portsmouth VR Lab]. I continue to be an active researcher in virtual reality and interactive technologies for health, well-being and education, and I also study the impact of hardware and software on user behaviour and perception. I use my cross-disciplinary background and technical expertise to facilitate innovation and collaboration between academia, healthcare and industry, and I have been involved with over £500k of successful research funding, including the UK-Canada Partnership fund and the Technology Strategy Board.
I am the Chair of the Faculty Ethics Committee, and am involved in a number of faculty and university committees and networks. I review for a number of journals, as well as being a member of the AHRC peer review college. I am a member of the British Computer Society, IEEE, and the International Society for Virtual Rehabilitation.
- Lecturing on the following units:
- Applications of Virtual Reality
- Tools for Animation
- Final Year Project
- Foundations in Graphics
- Introduction to Computer Graphics
- Designing Interactive Content
- MSc Computer Games Technology supervision
- PhD supervisor and examiner
- Life 3D - This project is creating a prototype of a new interactive teaching tool for molecular visualisation in Bioscience
- Application of Emerging Technologies for Enhanced Mirror Therapy This project is developing a novel application for treatment of phantom limb pain in amputees.
- RITA (Responsive Interactive Advocate) This multi-disciplinary project is creating a new service model for elderly care, designed around a humanised empathetic avatar
- iMoVE (Interactive Motion in Virtual Environments) A number of ongoing research projects studying physical interactions in virtual space