School of Earth and Environmental Sciences
Why do a placement?
Enhance your prospects
- According to the 2013 High Fliers Report - an annual review of graduate vacancies and starting salaries at Britain’s leading employers - 57% of graduate employers would not consider an application from a graduate who had no work experience
- More than four-fifths of the UK’s leading graduate employers are offering paid work experience programmes for students and recent graduates
- Recruiters estimate that 36% of entry-level vacancies at leading graduate employers will be filled by applicants who have already worked for the organisation as an undergraduate
Enjoy the benefits
- You could improve your degree classification
- You'll make contacts who may be able to help you get a job after graduation
- You'll develop your soft skills such as time management, problem solving and team work
- It will offer you an invaluable insight into your chosen profession or business
- It will enhance your final year of study, helping you decide on subject options
- Some of our placement students are offered permanent graduate positions
Engineering graduate wins student of the year
A University of Portsmouth graduate has won student of the year at an annual awards for the geotechnical and ground engineering industry.
Former Engineering Geology and Geotechnics student Jack Taggart won in his category at the Ground Engineering 2015 Next Generation Awards, which had seen a record number of entries this year.
The Geological Society of London has also blogged about Jack's course
What Our Students Say
The placement is essential to me to gain an insight in how the industry works, as the experience of working in the field is much different to reading about it at university.
Tom Pickard, Engineering Geology & Geotechnics – GCL Placement student 2014-15
Personally I have developed greater organisation skills and leadership skills when on site with drilling crews and JCB drivers.
Stephen Chapman, Engineering Geology & Geotechnics – Leep Environmental Placement
On my placement, I obtained practical hands on work experience which I can use to further my degree and future career.
Rhys Andrews, Structural Soils Placement Student 2014-15
What Our Employers Say
We value the combination of an educated base in geology and applied engineering practicality that typifies our Portsmouth people.
Nick Langdon, CGL Company Chairman – Engineering Geology & Geotechnics
We are into our second year of supporting this scheme and all three recruits have proven to be very effective members of the team with good basic geological skills that have then been developed through day to day mentoring from more senior people in our team.
Steve West, Technical Director Geotechnics - Ramboll Ground Engineering
The Portsmouth degree provides a fantastic foundation for graduates within BAM Nuttall.
Paul Skerry, Professional Development Manager, BAM Nuttall Limited