School of Education and Childhood Studies
Dr Sylvia Horton
- Role Title: Honorary Principal Lecturer
- Address: St George's Building, 141 High Street, Portsmouth PO1 2HY
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Education and Childhood Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Sylvia works across two departments – SECS and SSHLS – on the MSc in Education and Training Management and the MA in Public Administration.
- Public Sector People Management
- Strategic Management and Change Management
- Public Management
- Comparative Public Administration
Sylvia has researched public administration and public management in the British Public Sector since 1979, and presents regular academic papers at conferences on developments in public management in both the UK and Europe. The main focus of the research has been on changes and developments in people management and the transition from traditional personnel management to HRM across the public sector. Has authored and co-edited books and journal articles emanating from the work of the EGPA Personnel Polices Study Group of which she was joint convener from 1992 to 2009. Current research interests are in Leadership, Training and Development and Competency Management in civil service systems and higher education.