School of Education and Continuing Studies
Dr Wendy Sims-Schouten
- Qualifications: PhD in Psychology
- Role Title: Reader in Childhood Studies
- Address: St George's Building, 141 High Street, Portsmouth PO1 2HY
- Telephone: 023 9284 5362
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Education and Childhood Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Wendy has a BA (Hons) in Child Psychology from the Free University of Amsterdam, as well as a Masters in Social Research and PhD in Psychology from the University of Bath. She has researched (and published) in the areas of bullying, childhood obesity, care leavers, as well as female employment and early years care and education. Currently, she is working with local partners as well as academics nationally and internationally on research around safeguarding and mental health in childhood and education. Wendy has received funding from local charities and the Wellcome Trust. In addition to this she is co-editor for the international and interdisciplinary journal Children & Society.
Departmental Research Degrees Coordinator and MRes course liaison tutor for SECS; also teaching as part of all our full time undergraduate degrees (BA (Hons) Early Childhood Studies, BA (Hons) Childhood and Youth Studies, and the ‘with Psychology’ courses).
Wendy has a specific interest in interdisciplinary research around childhood and mental health. In her research she focuses on the role of language in constructing realities, drawing on discourse analysis, discursive psychology as well as non-discursive factors (embodiment, materiality). She has set up a ‘Mental Health in Childhood and Education’ (MICE) Hub for research around mental health and wellbeing, working with academics nationally and internationally, as well as charities and local partners (PCC and the Roberts Centre) on related projects. Current projects:
- Mental Health in Childhood - drawing on historic archives and children’s case files from the Children’ Society; funded by the Wellcome Trust.
- Signs of Safety and Safeguarding in England and the Netherlands.
- Perceptions of Bullying (early years - secondary school).
- Mental Health literacy in HE.
Visit MICE hub: http://micehub.port.ac.uk