School of Education and Continuing Studies
Ms Tanya Riordan
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer
- Address: St George's Building, 141 High Street, Portsmouth PO1 2HY
- Telephone: 023 9284 5227
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: School of Education and Childhood Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
I am the Course Leader for the Postgraduate Certificate in Education for modern foreign languages in the School of Education and Childhood Studies and have worked here for 10 years. The MFL course has been part of an outstanding programme of teaching and learning (Ofsted 2010). In 2011 Ofsted reported that we offer high quality central training that effectively supports trainees’ development and that, as subject leaders we provide tireless and highly effective support to help meet our trainees’ individual needs.
I aim to give an excellent student experience focused on knowledge and skills essential for roles in teaching languages in schools by working collaboratively with the School of Languages and Area Studies to support further subject knowledge development.
I am in charge of the recruitment and retention of trainee teachers from black and minority ethnic backgrounds. At Portsmouth we have an inclusive ethos of and we proactively promote and support equality and diversity (Ofsted 2010).
I aim to raise aspirations and promote access to MFL teaching by working collaboratively with 8 other universities forming a consortium for Routes into Languages. As part of this project, I have initiated and sustained such events as:
- Year 11 Revision Day based on Research into developing listening and reading strategies. 300 students attended for the Havant Federation of schools
- Year 8 International Days promoting a variety of languages and culture from around the world to Fareham and Gosport schools
- Adopt a Class scheme where Undergraduates from the School of Languages keep in touch with a Year 9 class from a Portsmouth school on their year abroad
- Continuing Professional Development for Newly Qualified and experienced teachers in developing strategies and assessment for learning in the four skills
I have a bilateral agreement with a university in France, Paris Ouest Nanterre, which allows students from both institutions to apply for a double Franco-British qualification: a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (+ Qualified Teacher Status) and Master Français Langue Etrangère to be studied at the University of Portsmouth and at l’Université Paris Ouest-Nanterre-La Défense.
Prior to working at the University I was a languages teacher and head of Department in schools for 11 years, teaching French and German at secondary level. My first degree was in French and Russian from the University of Portsmouth.
I hold a Masters degree in Education. My research interests include foreign language teaching and learning in the primary and secondary sectors. I am particularly committed to coordinating a city and regional policy on the implementation of effective foreign language pedagogy in schools. In order to achieve this I work closely with Local Authorities and Schools.
I aim to promote the discovery, development and application of knowledge through high quality research by making regular contributions to the ALL Language Learning Journal have published a chapter in Sociolinguistica.