School of Engineering
Dr Andrew Little
- Qualifications: BSc (Hons) Mechanical Engineering (sponsored by Rolls-Royce Ltd, Bristol Aero Division), City University, London, PhD Research Degree, "The Performance of Corrugated Carbon Fibre Pressure Vessels Under External Pressure", University of Portsmouth
- Role Title: Principal Lecturer
- Address: Anglesea Building, Anglesea Road, Portsmouth (UK) PO1 3DJ
- Telephone: 023 9284 2309
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: School of Engineering
- Faculty: Faculty of Technology
My work within education has been fuelled by my experience gained from the aerospace and the computer industry. I completed a five year Undergraduate Apprenticeship with Rolls-Royce Aero Division Bristol and the City University, London. My first appointment was as a Stress Engineer at Rolls-Royce, responsible for the design of safety critical aero engine components. This work included formal hand calculations; computer assisted calculations as well as the then relatively new field of finite element analysis.
My industrial experience includes working as a designer for Ferranti Computer Systems and Plessey on airborne equipment before coming to Portsmouth and joining the world of academe. I have taught a number of units at all levels in Design, Computer Aided Design and Stress Analysis. At Portsmouth, it was a natural step to become involved with various design based consultancies. However, I also became interested in pressure vessel research, which resulted in me embarking on a PhD (while in this full-time post).
I am now an active researcher in the field of pressure vessels under external pressure. This area includes investigations into the effects of underwater vibrations, the performance of conventional steel structures as well as the use of composite materials in pressure vessels.
Current units taught as Unit Coordinator
- ENG781s1 Level 7 MSc/MEng Unit: Structural Applications of Finite Elements
- ENG573 Level 5 BSc Unit: Computer Aided Design
- ENG480 Level 4 BEng/MEng Unit: Solid Mechanics & Dynamics
Current units taught as part of teaching team
- ENG782s2 MSc/MEng Unit: Structural Integrity
- BSc Product Design and Innovation
- BSc Computer Aided Product Design
- Pressure vessels under external pressure
- Finite element analysis
- Composite materials