School of Engineering
Professor Jie Tong
- Qualifications: BEng, MSc, PhD
- Role Title: Professor of Mechanical Engineering
- Address: Anglesea Building, Anglesea Road, Portsmouth (UK) PO1 3DJ
- Telephone: ++44 (0)23 9284 2326
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Engineering
- Faculty: Faculty of Technology
I am a Professor of Mechanical Engineering, and I lead the Mechanical Bahaviour of Materials group. I joined the University of Portsmouth in 1996 as a Senior Research Fellow, after a PhD on mixed mode fracture from the University of Sheffield and a brief period of postdoctoral research on matrix cracking of laminated composites at the University of Surrey.
My current research interests are in the area of mechanics of materials and biomechanics, focusing on deformation, fatigue and fracture behaviour of engineering and biological materials and systems. There are essentially two main questions we try to answer: how materials and components respond to complex loading conditions; and how micro-structural properties dictate global material or structural responses. I collaborate with industrial partners on fatigue and fracture of aero-engine materials; and with NHS hospital colleagues on biomechanical behaviour of implants and scaffolds.
Our research has been funded by the EPSRC, MRC, the Royal Society, TSB and Arthritis Research UK.
- Materials, Solid Mechanics and Dynamics
- Structural Integrity
- Biomechanics and biomaterials
- Constitutive modeling of engineering alloys
- Creep-fatigue interaction
- Mechanics of fracture and fatigue crack growth