School of Health Sciences and Social Work
Dr Kim Bown
- Qualifications: BSc (Hons) Sociology Portsmouth Polytechnic (1976) MSc Applied Social Studies University of Southampton (1982) MBA University of Portsmouth Business School (1996) PG Dip Social Research Methods University of Portsmouth (2002) PhD University of Portsmouth (2011)
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer
- Address: James Watson West 2 King Richard 1st Road Portsmouth PO1 2FR
- Telephone: 02392 842833
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: SHSSW
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
I am registered as a Social Worker with the Health and Care professions Council (HCPC). I have held a range of practitioner and manager posts in children’s services prior to taking up my academic appointment in 1997. Since then, I have led both qualifying and post qualifying courses. My key academic interests focus on the safeguarding and well-being of looked after children and commentary on contemporary Social Work trends and typologies. I have held a range of external examiner appointments and currently am an HCPC Partner/ Visitor and External Assessor for PQ programmes to the Northern Ireland Social Care Council.
I am the Unit Coordinator for two Units of study on Social Work qualifying programmes:
- Contextualising Social Work (BSc Social Work L4).
- Safeguarding and promoting well-being (BSc Social Work L6).
Additionally, I lecture on a range of Units and contribute to Erasmus teaching mobility scheme associated with my key research / teaching areas.
My doctoral research incorporated an analysis of looked after young people’s perceptions of their safety and well-being. This research topic remains highly pertinent to the contemporary Social Work context and continues to be the key focus of my scholastic and research interest.