School of Languages and Area Studies
For a number of years, the School of Languages and Area Studies at the University of Portsmouth has welcomed sponsored researchers in the fields of Languages, Linguistics and Area Studies. The School has, in the past, received many such scholars from China and other countries, visits usually lasting either six months or a year. A period of three months is also possible.
Preference may be given to applicants from institutions with which the University of Portsmouth has an affiliation. Owing to constraints of space, it is only possible to receive one visiting scholar from the same institution at any one time.
The School offers:
- Library and IT facilities
- Observation of classes by arrangement* (many scholars sit in on our MA in Applied Linguistics and TESOL)
- Access to University workshops and School research seminars
- On satisfactory completion of the visit, scholars will be provided with attendance certificates and report letters will be written on their time at the UoP
* Observation of classes: Please note that, due to the structure of our academic year, the observation of classes will not be possible from the end of March to the end of August. Moreover, the observation of classes from the beginning of September till the end of March is subject to the availability of places and approval of faculty staff and cannot therefore be guaranteed.
The School does not offer
- individual office space or residential accommodation
- registration to awards or assessment
(Of course, those wishing to be considered for places on our MA or MPhil/PhD programmes are welcome to apply.)
Further information and application forms can be obtained from:
Mrs Sophie Till
School Administrator, School of Languages & Area Studies
University of Portsmouth
Park Building, King Henry 1st Street
Portsmouth, PO1 2DZ
Fax: 0044 (0) 23 9284 6056
Due to increasing demand for places, applications for the Visiting Scholar Programme should be received by the School at least twelve months in advance.