School of Languages and Area Studies
Dr Helen Ringrow
- Qualifications: BA Joint Honours in English and French (Queen’s University Belfast), MA in English Language and Linguistics (Queen’s University Belfast), PhD in Linguistics (Queen’s University Belfast), Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer in Communication Studies and Applied Linguistics
- Address: Park Building, King Henry 1 Street, Portsmouth PO1 2DZ
- Telephone: 023 9284 6059
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Languages and Area Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
I have a PhD from Queen’s University Belfast, where I also contributed to teaching on language, power and ideology. My doctoral research focused on how ideals about femininity and the female body are constructed in French and English cosmetics advertisements. I joined the University of Portsmouth in September 2014 and I teach on a wide range of linguistics units at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. I am currently researching the language used to describe motherhood and femininity in religious online communities.
I am a member of the Poetics and Linguistics Association (PALA).
I lead the following course:
- BA (Hons) English Language and Linguistics
I team teach on the following units:
- Analysing Discourse (MA)
- Intercultural Communication (MA) (Unit Coordinator)
- Theory and Practice of Communication (MA)
- Intercultural Perspectives on Communication (BA) (Unit Coordinator)
- Gender, Language and Sexuality (BA)
My current research looks at the connections between language, gender, and religion in online contexts. My most recent project looks at metaphors of the female body in motherhood and modest fashion blogs.
- Language Across Borders