School of Languages and Area Studies
Mr John Williams
- Qualifications: Licentiate Diploma in TESOL (Trinity College London), BA (Hons) in French (University of Birmingham), M Soc Sc in Cultural Studies (University of Birmingham)
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer, English Language and Linguistics
- Address: Park Building, King Henry 1 Street, Portsmouth PO1 2DZ
- Telephone: 023 9284 2162
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: School of Languages and Area Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
I am an English language teacher with a professional background in lexicography and corpus linguistics. During my career I have contributed to more than 30 published dictionaries and language reference works, including the COBUILD range, the Partridge Dictionary of Slang, and the Dante lexical database.
I have also edited a book on distance teaching and co-authored a textbook for French learners of English.
Currently I am a member of the Language of Citizen Science research group within SLAS, exploring the lexical features of online discussion among citizen scientists.
I am a former course leader (2014-2016) of the University's summer presessional English programme for international students.