School of Media and Performing Arts
Dr Alison Habens
- Qualifications: PhD, MA, BA (Hons)
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer (Creative Writing); Course Leader, Creative Writing undergraduate courses; Level 6 Tutor (Creative Writing); Admissions (Creative Writing)
- Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth PO1 2DJ
- Telephone: 023 9284 5506
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Media and Performing Arts
- Faculty: Creative and Cultural Industries
I am course leader for undergraduate Creative Writing at the University of Portsmouth. I also teach on MA Creative Writing and hold a PhD on the subject of ‘divine inspiration’ in literature. I run a research project called ‘Ink:Well’ – Life-writing for Wellbeing. My teaching specialisms include fairy tales and philosophy, epic poetry and historical novels, play writing and contemporary literary fiction.
In publishing, I am best known for Dreamhouse, a 1990s cult novel based on Alice in Wonderland, with further novels, Lifestory and Family Outing, in print and short stories, articles, poems and plays to see on my website, The True Picture and Pencilwood.
I live in an old church on the Isle of Wight and commute to work by hovercraft.
- Habens, A. (2015). ‘Cadets, Vets and War Poets – Creative Writing with the Armed Forces’ in New Writing: The International Journal for the Theory and Practice of Creative Writing [DOI: 10.1080/14790726.2015.1037769]
- Habens, A. (2015). ‘The True Picture – Creative Writing and Critical Thinking on Saint Veronica’s Cloth’ in Textile: the Journal of Cloth and Culture [DOI: 10.1080/14759756.2015.1045203]
- Habens, A. (2016). 'Women, Writing and the (Original) Web' in Textile: the Journal of Cloth and Culture [DOI: 10.1080/14759756.2015.1108592]
- Habens, A. (2016). Preface to a new edition of By Celia’s Arbour Walter Besant (1877) Portsmouth: LifeIsAmazing.
- Habens, A. (2016). ‘Clarendon Road, St. Kitts, Gourley, 1836’ in Dark City – Portsmouth Tales of Haunting and Horror. Portsmouth: LifeIsAmazing.