School of Media and Performing Arts
Dr Laurel Forster
- Qualifications: PhD, MA, BA
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer (Media); Course Leader – MA Media and Communication
- Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth PO1 2DJ
- Telephone: 023 9284 5570
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: School of Media and Performing Arts
- Faculty: Creative and Cultural Industries
I work as Senior Lecturer in the Media Studies department of the University of Portsmouth, with interests in print media and feminism, and particularly in women’s magazines.
Both my teaching and research have an emphasis on critical and cultural theories, and my research and publications explore ways in which creative expression relates to the cultural and social context.
My research interests fall into a number of related areas including women’s writing, women’s cultures, feminism, and media representations of women. I have a particular research and publication interest in women’s magazines and their cultural contexts. Magazines, lifestyle television, television drama, novels, short stories and science fiction are all media forms and genres which interest me and have informed my writing. Recent publications include work on feminism and women’s magazines; modernism, war and May Sinclair; and 1970s British television. I am presently writing a monograph on women’s magazines, looking at the political and social impact some magazines have had on British women’s history.