School of Media and Performing Arts
- Role Title: Production Manager
- Address: White Swan Building, White Swan Road, Portsmouth PO1 2GA
- Telephone: 023 9284 5221
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: School of Media and Performing Arts
- Faculty: Creative and Cultural Industries
I am the Production Manager of School of Media and Performing Arts.
My research focuses on the history, politics and aesthetics of Algerian cultural production, notably cinema in the post-independence period. The questions I examine include the role of cinema as a nation-building tool, national and transnational funding mechanisms and their impacts and the politics of language.
As a filmmaker, I seek to explore ways to overcome through form and content some of the constraints placed on films made in and about the Global South. In 2016-17, I spent a year in Algeria shooting a documentary about the relationship between politics and culture. This involved working with a range of cultural associations and actors – from state-funded cultural centres, to theatre troops for children, to volunteer-run training sessions in photography and filming for young men and women.This documentary (provisionally titled Performing Algerianness) is currently in the post-production stage.
I am also currently working on an academic article on a recent series of biopics of anti-colonial heroes which were funded by the Algerian Ministry of War Veterans and which provide insights into the construction and consumption of narratives of the nation.
I am also a member of the Francophone Africa cluster of the Centre for European and International Studies (CEISR) at the University of Portsmouth.
- 2017 ‘Performing Algerianness: the national and transnational construction of Algeria’s “culture wars”’ in Algeria: Nation, Culture and Transnationalism, 1988-2015, ed. Patrick Crowley (Liverpool University Press, 2017) (co-authored with N. Vince)
- 2016 ‘Algerian cinema between commercial and political pressures: the double distortion’, Journal of African Cinemas, 8:1 (2016)