School of Social, Historical and Literary Studies
Dr Paul Flenley
- Qualifications: MA (Hons) Modern Russian Studies (St.Andrews University), Ph.D Political Science (Centre for Russian and East European Studies, University of Birmingham)
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer in Politics and International Relations
- Address: Milldam, Burnaby Road, Portsmouth PO1 3AS
- Telephone: 023 9284 2217
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Social, Historical and Literary Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
My main research interests are in the areas of Russian Foreign Policy - particularly Russia-EU relations; Russian nationalism and national identity, the Russian Revolution and early development of the Soviet state. I have published a range of articles and book chapters on Russian labour history, Russia and the West, the Russian media, Russia and NATO. My most recent publications have centred on Russia-EU relations and the EU, Russia and cooperation in the Black Sea area. I have recently undertaken funded research projects on comparative revolutions contracted by the Defence Human Capability Science and Technology Centre for the Ministry of Defence.
I regularly contribute reviews to a wide range of journals on the above topics and am an editor of the Journal of Contemporary European Studies. I have developed a wide range of international links – an International Masters Programme in European Studies with Krakow, Maastricht and Aachen; Erasmus exchanges with the Czech Republic and Hungary; coordinated an MA European Law and Policy degree with The Hague. Recently I have been the international partner in establishing a European Union Centre in Kazan , Russia.
Subject Leader Politics and International Relations, including Master's programmes in European Studies.
I coordinate a range of units – Russian Politics, Soviet History, Modern Political Ideologies, Democracy and Democratisation as well as teach across other Politics units and on the MA European Studies programmes.
- Social and Cultural History
- Security Studies
- Area Studies
- International Relations
- Politics and Public Administration
Current Research Projects
- Articles on EU-Russia relations, the Eastern Neighbourhood and work as part of the BASEES/UACES EU-Russia research network
- Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence for Studies in Transnational Europe, executive committee member and coordinator of project stream on transnational europeanisation in Eastern Europe and the Neighbourhood
- Research project for Defence Human Capability Science and Technology Centre on Comparative Historical Analysis of Revolutions
- Russian Revolution and Early Development of the Soviet State publications
- Editor of The Journal of Contemporary European Studies