School of Social, Historical and Literary Studies
Dr Susana Sampaio-Dias
- Qualifications: PhD Journalism Media and Cultural Studies, PG Diploma in Human Rights Law, PG Diploma in Communication Law and Copyright, MA Journalism, BA Journalism
- Role Title: Lecturer in Journalism
- Address: Milldam, Burnaby Road, Portsmouth, Hants PO1 3AS
- Telephone: 023 9284 6096
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Social, Historical and Literary Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Susana Sampaio-Dias joined the University of Portsmouth in September 2014 as a Lecturer in Journalism. She holds a PhD from Cardiff University’s School of Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies, where she has also worked as a Postdoc researcher. Prior to that she worked a news producer for RTP, the Portuguese public service broadcaster. She has a Postgraduate Diploma in International Human Rights Law, and in Communication Law and Copyright, both from University of Coimbra (Portugal). Before that she completed an MA in Journalism Studies and a BA in Journalism from the University of Coimbra.
Lecturer across the undergraduate programme in Journalism, including theoretical and methodological units. Coordinator of preparation for final Dissertation and Special Investigation at Level 5.
Her research interests broadly concern the relationship between human rights issues and journalism, International Human Rights Law and the Responsibility to Protect, media and news production, global crisis reporting, humanitarian NGOs, mediatized conflict reporting, health reporting (particularly media representations of coma, consciousness and Serious Brain Injury), social media and new media technologies, photojournalism, citizen journalism and community journalism.