School of Social, Historical and Literary Studies
Mr Ian Tapster
- Qualifications: BA (Hons) History & Politics (University of Lancaster); PG Cert in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education
- Role Title: Principal Lecturer in Journalism / Principal Lecturer Learning, Teaching and Student Experience
- Address: Milldam, Burnaby Road, Portsmouth, Hants PO1 3AS
- Telephone: 023 9284 2185
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Social, Historical and Literary Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
My academic background is in history and politics. I put the history side to good use after graduating as I worked for several years as a mediaeval archaeologist in Newcastle-upon-Tyne and then as a curator in the Oriental Department at the British Museum. I then found my vocation as a financial journalist, spending five years at the Financial Times, most of them as editor of my section. I also freelanced for The European for three years before setting up and running my own real-time financial information company for 15 years. This company provided hourly reports on major financial markets and the political, international and economic influences behind their movements. I have worked at the University since 2008.
My teaching reflects the nature of my journalistic background as I co-ordinate units that encompass British politics, foreign affairs and financial issues. I also provide some historical context to journalism’s role in society, as well as taking an in-depth look at the importance of ethics in contemporary journalism. In addition, my PL role includes being the Student Voice, Employability, Outreach and Learning and Teaching lead for the School. I am also a member of the Faculty Ethics Committee.