Junior Year Abroad
Who is the JYA programme designed for?
We are pleased to offer a Junior Year Abroad (JYA) programme for students whose first language is not English and who would like to spend part of their time at Portsmouth developing their English skills.
You will spend a study block focusing on English language, followed by one term of subject study. The English language study block will be delivered by Language Specialists International (LSI).
LSI is the official English language partner of the University of Portsmouth. With over 25 years of experience, they are located close to the University and are part of the University community. Classes are small and friendly, enabling you to grow in confidence with your English before you join University classes.
Programme A structure for 2013/14:
- 15 April 2013 - 30 August 2013: English language at Language Specialists International (LSI)
- 31 August 2013 - 8 September 2013: Vacation
- 9 September 2013 - 13 December 2013: Academic study at the University of Portsmouth
Application deadline: 1 February 2013
Tuition Fees: Approximately £9800. A deposit of £4800 is payable in advance of the start date. The remaining balance is due by September 2013.
Programme B structure for 2013/14:
- 5 August 2013 - 20 December 2013: English language at Language Specialists International (LSI)
- 21 December - 5 January 2014: Vacation
- 6 January 2014 - 30 May 2014: Academic study at the University of Portsmouth
Application deadline: 1 July 2013
Tuition Fees: Approximately £9800. A deposit of £4800 is payable in advance of the start date. The remaining balance is due by January 2014.
- At least one year of University education in a relevant major/minor
- GPA: 2.6/4 - 2.8/4 depending on your chosen subject
- IELTS 4.5 (with no less than 4.0 in any component)
- OR -
- IELTS 4.0 (with no less than 4.0 in any component) with a limited choice of units.
For your first term whilst you are studying English language at LSI you will live with a host family. This is ideal for students coming to Portsmouth from overseas for a shorter study programme, as it offers a more secure, family atmosphere.
How to apply
If you would like to apply for the JYA programme, please download and complete the application form below. Please send the completed form with university transcripts (translated into English) and one academic reference to the Study Abroad/Exchanges team.