Study Abroad

Incoming students

Non-Erasmus Exchange

Who is a non-Erasmus exchange student?

A non-Erasmus/international exchange student is eligible to attend the University of Portsmouth for one semester or a full academic year, provided there is an exchange agreement between both institutions. You will study in classes alongside full time British and international students.  As well attending lectures, you will also take part in smaller seminars and tutorial classes, giving you the opportunity to work closely with, and get to know, other students on your course.

We have various international exchange links with countries including the U.S.A., China, Japan, Malaysia and Canada. To find out if the University of Portsmouth has an exchange agreement with your institution, please email

How to apply

If your institution has an agreement with the University of Portsmouth, your home institution's Coordinator will be able to inform us of your intention to study to the University of Portsmouth. They will assist you in completing an Exchange Application Form and return it to the Study Abroad/Exchanges Team.

Application procedure

We will process your Exchange Application Form upon receipt and inform you of the decision as quickly as possible. If you are offered a place, you will receive one of the following documents:

  • an official Offer Letter (if you are planning to apply for the Student Visitor visa)
  • a Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)  (if you are planning to apply for the Tier 4 General Student visa)

Units available and contacts

If you are looking for the units on a Business school course, please visit the Portsmouth Business School curriculum course list.

If you will be studying at the School of Languages and Area Studies, please email to obtain the list of the units available.

For all other Departments, please contact the Study Abroad/Exchanges team.