Study Abroad

Outgoing students

Frequently asked questions

Will my home institution help me to find accommodation?

The student is responsible for making their own accommodation arrangements. However, you can contact the receiving institution/company for more details on what information they could provide you with. 

How do the teaching methods overseas differ to my home institution?

This varies from country to country, institution to institution. Most students will find that the teaching style is different but they gradually adapt. Experiencing different academic styles will benefit you both academically and vocationally. 

I have completed all the forms that my home institution requires. Am I ready to go?

No. You will need to attend all Departmental sessions that prepare you academically and personally before you go abroad. It is also your responsibility to research the host institution's/company's requirements from you. 

I would like to apply for the British Council Language Assistantship. Is it categorised as a study or a work placement?

Any student who participates in the British Council Language Assistantship should complete the documents required for work placements. 

I do not speak any foreign languages. Can I still participate and go on an Erasmus+ placement?

It may be possible - this will depend on the agreements that your Department has. Some Universities outside the UK do provide courses that are taught in English. Please check with your  Departmental Coordinator. If you find a suitable Erasmus placement with courses taught in English, we still recommend you attend IWLP classes (Institution-Wide Language Programme) to learn the basic language of the country you will be living in. This will ensure that you can communicate in every day conversations outside the academic environment.  

I am a studying a degree programme which has an option to go abroad. When do I have to decide if I am going?

You will need to decide as soon as possible. The study abroad option for the majority of students is usually the first teaching block of their second year of studies. Therefore you will need to start considering whether you would like to take this option during your first year at Portsmouth. Your Erasmus+ Departmental Coordinator will be more than happy to explore your options with you.

I may have the option to go on a placement abroad on my second or third year. How does this affect my degree classification?

You will need to discuss this matter with your Departmental Coordinator. Each Department has its own policies with regard to degree classification. We advise you to check well in advance how the study abroad placement will count towards your degree classification.

Is it possible to take part in the Erasmus+ programme without it counting towards my degree?

The Erasmus+ programme is mainly designed for students who wish to take this option as part of their degree programme. However, there is the option of Erasmus+ graduate traineeship to enhance your employability skills upon graduation. Please contact the Exchanges and Study Abroad Team for more information.