The Exchanges and Study Abroad Team is able to offer advice and assistance in finding and developing links with overseas partners worldwide for non-Erasmus+ exchange agreements. However, all non-Erasmus+ exchanges must be detailed on a Memorandum of Agreement (MoA). This must be processed and authorised by the Collaborative Programmes Office, based in University House.
Please contact the Exchanges and Study Abroad Team for a list of current partners.
- Proposing a new Erasmus+ Inter-Institutional Agreement
- Renewing an expiring Erasmus+ Inter-Institutional Agreement
- Departmental and Faculty Review
Erasmus+ staff and student exchanges can take place between any two institutions that both hold an Erasmus+ Charter.
2014/15 Erasmus+ partner institutions (.xls) (available soon)
2014/15 Erasmus+ Charter Holders (.pdf) (available soon)
Please contact the Exchanges and Study Abroad Team for details of current partner agreements.
The Erasmus+ Inter-Institutional Agreement is an official contract between the University of Portsmouth and the partner institution. As such, it can only be authorised by the designated University of Portsmouth signatory listed with the UK Erasmus+ National Agency . This is currently the International Director, Joe Docherty.
Partnerships must have a University of Portsmouth academic as a Departmental Link Tutor or 'champion'. This person is responsible for liaising with the partners academic/departmental representative and both incoming and outgoing students to ensure that both partners courses are academically compatible and suitable for the students programme of study. The Erasmus+ Departmental Coordinator is not necessarily the main contact point for this activity, but will be responsible for overseeing the department's partner activities as a whole.
The Agreement must hold the following details:
- The maximum number of staff and students that can take part in an exchange during a given academic year, and the maximum length of time that this mobility can cover
- The subject area and Erasmus+ code that the exchange covers (a full list of these subject areas can be obtained here)
- Contact details for the Institutional Erasmus+ Coordinator at both institutions (for the University of Portsmouth this is the Senior Exchanges and Study Abroad Officer and Erasmus+ Institutional Coordinator, Helen Hill)
- Contact details for the departmental contact (and/or Erasmus+ Departmental Coordinator where necessary)
- Name and position of both partners authorised signatories
All proposals for new Erasmus+ agreements must be submitted to the Exchanges and Study Abroad Team by the end of November in the year prior to the proposed start year. Requests submitted later than this will be considered but might not be approved.
If you would like to develop a new Inter-Institutional Agreement with a partner, please contact your Erasmus+ Departmental Coordinator in the first instance. For departments which do not currently have a member of staff covering this role, please contact your Head of Department. The following factors must be considered during the early stages:
- Is this to be a student exchange, a staff exchange, or both?
- For a student exchange: what language does the partner teach in and will University of Portsmouth students be able to access a range of units appropriate to their programme of study?
- Is the location of the partner institution likely to cause University of Portsmouth students any financial, social, or logistal difficulties?
An Erasmus IIA proposal demonstrating that these issues have been discussed and resolved must be completed by the academic proposing the partnership (with the Erasmus+ Departmental Coordinator where necessary) and authorised by the Head of Department before being forwarded to the Exchanges and Study Abroad Team for processing. Please contact the Exchanges and Study Abroad Team to request the appropriate forms.
All proposals for Erasmus+ agreement renewals must be submitted to the Exchanges and Study Abroad Team by the end of November in the year prior to the proposed start year. Requests submitted later than this will be considered but might not be approved.
As with new proposals, renewal requests also require a proposal to be completed at the point of the proposal renewal, authorised by the Head of Department and forwarded to the Exchanges and Study Abroad Team for processing.
Please contact the Exchanges and Study Abroad Team to request the appropriate forms.
To ensure that partner agreements are still operational and of benefit to all concerned, an annual review process will take place at a departmental and faculty level for all agreements at the end of the agreements term (or sooner if cause for concern has been identified by the Exchanges and Study Abroad Team).
This review will take into account:
- Student and/or staff mobility in the previous year/s
- Feedback from the previous year's mobility
- Any changes to academic programmes on either side that reduce options for students
- Additional non-Erasmus+ links with the partner