Support Staff Association: Constitution
A new constitution is currently being drawn up and will be available on here as soon as it has been approved.
Approved by the Board of Governors on 25 June 2003
- The Association shall be called the "University of Portsmouth Support Staff Association", hereafter referred to as the SSA.
- The SSA exists to promote and foster a spirit of unity and co-operation among the Support Staff, to provide a means whereby the Support Staff may express its wishes and opinions to the Board of Governors, the Academic Council and the Vice-Chancellor and to promote and protect the interests of the Support Staff.
- All members of the Support Staff shall be members of the SSA and have the power to vote in the elections for sub-committees and all other offices.
- An Annual General Meeting shall be called during the term time and officer nominations and motions shall be published 7 days prior to the meeting. A General Meeting may be called by 10 members with 14 days notice prior to the meeting. Twenty-five members shall constitute a quorum.
- Officers of the SSA shall be called the Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson and the Secretary. These Offices shall be filled by elections at the Annual General Meeting. Written nominations for the above posts should be received by the Secretary at least fourteen days prior to the Annual General Meeting.
- This constitution may be changed at a General Meeting specifically convened for the purpose, or at an Annual General Meeting, on a motion which shall be communicated to the Chairperson of the SSA at least fourteen clear days prior to the Meeting, in accordance with section 16.1 of the University Articles of Government.
- The business of the SSA shall be conducted by an Executive Committee.
- The Executive Committee:
- The SSA's normal avenue of communication with the Vice-Chancellor and appropriate committees shall be through the Executive Committee.
- The Executive Committee shall comprise:
- Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Secretary
- Support Staff Governor
- Elected support staff representatives on Academic Council, Quality Assurance Committee and Academic Policy Committee
- Up to ten representatives from support staff within the University
- Members of the Executive Committee shall serve for two years save that the Support Staff Representative on the Board of Governors, Academic Council, Quality Assurance Committee and Academic Policy Committee shall remain in membership for the duration of their appointment.
- All officers shall be eligible for re-election.
- The Executive Committee shall elect representatives as required to the University bodies.
- The Executive Committee shall normally meet at least once a term.
- The minutes of the Executive Committee meetings shall be forwarded to the Clerk to the Board of Governors, the Academic Registrar for Academic Council and the Vice-Chancellor.
- Members of the SSA shall hold a ballot every 2 years to elect a representative to serve on the Board of Governors.
- The Executive Committee shall hold a ballot every 3 years to elect representatives to serve on Academic Council, Quality Assurance Committee and Academic Policy Committee.