Strategy, Enterprise and Innovation
Dr Martin Fakley
- Qualifications: Bsc (Hons) Chemistry, University of Sussex,(1976); DPhil, Chemistry, University of Sussex, 1979); Chartered Chemist; Chartered Scientist; Member Royal Society of Chemistry; Fellow Higher Education Academy(2016)
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer
- Address: Richmond Building Portland Street Portsmouth PO1 3DE
- Telephone: +44(0)2392 844014; Mobile: +44(0)7802469809
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: Strategy, Enterprise and Innovation
- Faculty: Portsmouth Business School
Martin obtained his BSc and PhD degrees in Chemistry from the University of Sussex before joining ICI Corporate Laboratory in Runcorn. He transferred to ICI Agricultural Division R&D and subsequently worked in business development for ICI Synetix (now part of Johnson-Matthey) where he was responsible, amongst other things, for a number of patented processes, started a global business in environmental catalysis. After 3 years as a corporate innovation and technology strategist, in 2000 he transferred to Permabond as Global Development Director (Permabond, the structural adhesives business of National Starch and Chemical acquired by ICI from Unilever in 1997). When Permabond was part sold and restructured into the Bondmaster business of National Starch in late 2003, Martin left to start his own business, U4RIC (Research and Intellectual Capital) Limited, consulting particularly on knowledge exchange, open innovation and strategy, mainly to growth SMEs. He was an Adviser to the DTI’s Knowledge Transfer Partnerships for 8 years, consulted on sustainable chemical technology for Crystal Faraday/Chemistry Innovation.
Martin teaches Business Strategy, Entrepreneurship, Innovation, Intrapreneurship, and Technology Strategy at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. He coordinates a postgraduate unit on Entrepreneurship & Business Venturing and has developed units to teach business to bioscientists.
Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management.