The Third International Conference on Physical Employment Standards
Travel and accommodation
How to find the University of Portsmouth
For information on how to find the University of Portsmouth, please see the link below. The conference will be held in the Portland building which can be found in the navigation links on the right-hand side of this link: http://www.port.ac.uk/maps-and-directions/
- London Waterloo (1hr 30mins) or London Victoria (2hrs 10mins)
- Bristol (2hrs) and South Wales (3hrs 15mins)
- Frequent South Coast services to Southampton, Bournemouth and Brighton
- National Rail has more information.
- Portsmouth and Southsea is the central train station, but Portsmouth Harbour Station is within walking distance of the university and most of the hotels.
- London (2hrs via A3(M))
- M25 London orbital (1hr via A3(M))
- Bristol (2hrs via M27/A36) onwards to South Wales
- Birmingham (3hrs via A34/M40)
We would encourage you to use public transport where possible. The University is walking distance from Portsmouth Harbour Station and National Express coach stops. Car parking is available in all public city centre car parks for a small charge, as well as on the roads using parking meters.
Park and Ride
Portsmouth’s park-and-ride offers a quick, easy way into Portsmouth at a cost of £3.50 per vehicle. Located on the M275 at the entrance to the city, with 650 spaces and buses every 12 minutes, it’s a convenient way to visit Portsmouth.
- Heathrow Airport (1hr 30 mins by road via A3(M)/M25) for all international connections
- Gatwick Airport (1hr 30 mins by road, 1hr 36 mins by rail) for international connections
- Southampton International Airport (30 mins by road via M275/M27, 40 mins by rail) for regular flights to Paris, Cherbourg, the Channel Islands, Belfast, Glasgow
- Heathrow Airport
- Gatwick Airport
- Southampton Airport
All the airports are well connected by public transport, which can be found from their respective websites (given above). However, airport transfers to your hotel, collecting you directly from the airport arrivals can be arranged from our usual airport transfers company: www.smithsforairports.com
Telephone: +44 (0) 23 9283 1111
Such transfers are more convenient than public transport, and can be cheaper for two or more travellers together than individual public transport tickets. Current costs are:
Saloon car (up to 4 people)
Heathrow & Gatwick £55 each way plus £6 for the car park on the collection at Heathrow (but not the drop-off the return to the airport).
Southampton £26 each way plus £3 for the car park on the collection at Southampton (but not the drop-off on return to the airport)
Estate Car / Stationwagon (up to 4 people and lots of luggage)
- Heathrow & Gatwick £57 each way plus £6 for the car park on the collection at Heathrow (but not the drop-off the return to the airport).
- Southampton £30 each way plus £3 for the car park on the collection at Southampton (but not the drop-off on return to the airport)
- Minibus (8 seater)
- Heathrow & Gatwick £91 each way plus £6 for the car park on the collection at Heathrow (but not the drop-off the return to the airport).
- Southampton £52 each way plus £3 for the car park on the collection at Southampton (but not the drop-off on return to the airport).
There are regular daily direct coach services to London (for countrywide connections), Bristol (for West Country/South Wales), Birmingham (the Midlands and North), Heathrow and other locations. These services all call at The Hard Interchange by Portsmouth Harbour railway station. From here the Guildhall Campus is a short taxi ride or a 15 minute walk away (see Portsmouth map).
National Express has more information.
Please contact your preferred hotel directly to book your accommodation. We have included some comments for our suggested hotels to help you make your choice.
Overall general information about visiting Portsmouth, including maps, can be found here: www.visitportsmouth.co.uk
Much of the accommodation is in Southsea. If searching for your own accommodation, it may be worthwhile searching for both Portsmouth and Southsea separately on: www.visit-hampshire.co.uk, www.chooseanywhere.com or www.hotels.com. You can choose from hotels, guest houses, the traditional British B&B (bed and breakfast), and even camping / caravanning.
Holiday lettings of houses / apartments (ideal for families or groups) can be found from: www.visit-hampshire.co.uk, or from a variety of websites such as: www.holidaylettings.co.uk, www.ownersdirect.co.uk and www.homeaway.co.uk