Dr Stephen Crabbe
- Qualifications: BA, PGCE, MA, PGDip, PhD, FHEA
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer in Applied Linguistics and Translation (Japanese to English)
- Address: Park Building, King Henry 1 Street, Portsmouth PO1 2DZ
- Telephone: 023 9284 6149
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Languages and Area Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
I joined the School of Languages and Area Studies as a full-time lecturer in 2011. I have an AHRC-funded PhD in Applied Linguistics, which I was awarded in January 2012.
I have recently written a book Controlling Language in Industry: Controlled Languages for Technical Documents that was published in February 2017 (Palgrave Macmillan) and edited a book Current Practices and Trends in Technical and Professional Communication that was published in July 2017 (ISTC Books).
I have been a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy since October 2015.
Prior to coming to Portsmouth, I worked in Japan. I currently collaborate with researchers in Japan from the University of Aizu/会津大学 (English language learning and teaching in Japan) and Kanto Gakuin University/関東学院大学 (translation in Japan).
I teach both classroom based and distance learning students.
- Workplace Discourse
- Writing to Persuade
- Business Communication
- Technical Communication
- Critical Approaches to Specialised Translation (revising and editing for translators and Japanese to English translation)
- Translation Technologies (corpus/glossary building and pre- and post-editing for machine translation)
- Translation Project (Japanese to English translation)
- dissertation supervision
I am interested in supervising research students in the following areas:
- Written and visual technical/professional communication (both modern and historical)
- English language learning and teaching in Japan
- Japan studies (particularly modern Japanese fiction and Japanese tattoos)