Ms Begoña Rodríguez de Céspedes
- Qualifications: BA (Hons) Translation and Interpreting, BA (Hons) English Studies, MA Applied Linguistics and TEFL
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer
- Address: Park Building, King Henry 1 Street, Portsmouth PO1 2DZ
- Telephone: 023 9284 6162
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Languages and Area Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Begoña Rodríguez de Céspedes is a Senior Lecturer and MA Translation Studies Course Leader at the University of Portsmouth. She trained as a translator and interpreter before joining the University to teach Translation and Spanish Language. She has carried out translation and proofreading freelance work over the years (specialising in legal translation and translation of children’s stories) whilst lecturing at university where she has developed and coordinated units in translation across levels.
Her research interests include translator training and professionalisation. Begoña is involved in several translation and knowledge services projects including organisation of the annual Translation conference, Portsmouth coordinator of the European Project OPTIMALE (Optimising Professional Translator Training in a Multilingual Europe), EMT European Master’s in Translation and organiser of professional translation seminars. She is also Portsmouth coordinator for the NNT (National Network for Translation).
Begoña was the winner of Staff Entrepreneurial Spirit of the Year 2015.
- MA in Translation Studies Course Leader
- MA in Translation Specialised Translation coordinator.
- MA Professional Aspects of Translation.
- Teaching and co-ordination of Translation units (undergraduate and postgraduate-classroom based and distance learning mode).
- Supervisor of undergraduate and post-graduate dissertations.
Begoña is interested in translation training and professionalisation, and impact of technologies in the profession. Current research:
- PI of Faculty funded project "When Translation meets Technologies: Language Service Providers in the Digital Age" (2016-2019)
- Special issue co-editor of The Interpreter and Translator Trainer (June 2017) "Employability and the Translation and Interpreting Curriculum"
Knowledge Transfer Projects
- OPTIMALE (Optimising Professional Translator Training in a Multilingual Europe), University of Portsmouth coordinator.
- Organiser of "Engaging with the Profession Translation Seminars" at Portsmouth.
- Academic Lead of Professional Communication Hub HEIF (Higher Education Investment Fund) successful bid for developing 4 CPD courses.
- Member of National Network for Translation. Raising awareness of the profession at schools and universities (national and local level). Organiser of year 12s translation and interpreting Routes into Languages annual conference (outreach activity)
- Curriculum development for Translation Studies
- Setting up Distance Learning Courses
- Training the Trainers