The University of Portsmouth, Aspex Gallery and six FE colleges/sixth form colleges are jointly inviting Creative and Cultural Industries students to work with a commissioned artist for New Creatives 2012, an artist-led exhibition project aiming to inspire FE students and exploring Courage and Determination. Please note this is an unpaid, voluntary work iniative.
What’s in it for you
Three selected CCI students will each work with a commissioned professional artist who will lead the students in two FE colleges each, from the period September 2011 – May 2012. The participating colleges are South Downs, Highbury, Gosport, Havant, St Vincent and Fareham.
The external influence of working with a professional artist, gallery, Faculty member and FE college will build your confidence and provide professional practice. You will experience how creative professionals work in education and learn how a ‘creative brief’ can be delivered in a wider cultural context, at the same time as learning personal skills such as negotiation, organisation and communication skills.
Your work will also be showcased across three exhibition venues (the University’s Eldon Gallery, the Art Gallery at Fareham College and Aspex Gallery) in Spring 2012.
What’s the job?
If selected you will be asked to:
- Attend a launch event on Tuesday 18 October, 4.00pm at Aspex Gallery.
- Liaise closely with one of the commissioned professional artists on your availability.
- Shadow or buddy the artist on two visits to FE colleges, observing and assisting where necessary.
- Remain in contact with the CCI Faculty Promotions Manager as a link between colleges, artists and the University.
- Record your experience as part of your professional practice as a student creative practitioner.
- Act as an ‘ambassador’ for the Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries in a key regional cultural project.
- Attend the launch/preview of the exhibition at one of the venues in the Spring 2012.
How can I participate?
Please send a 200 word ‘expression of interest’ including your contact details by email to email@example.com.
Deadline for submissions: 7 October 2011.