Student champions cloud computing

A student from the University of Portsmouth is one step closer to winning a global engineering prize.

John Wheal, in the second year of his Master of Engineering course in the School of Engineering, won the local heat of the Present Around the World competition with his talk about cloud computing. The judges awarded him 216 points out of a possible 240.

John said: “I spoke about cloud computing because it’s a passion of mine. I wanted to correct any misconceptions people may have about it, as it can be of real benefit to large and small companies.

John Wheal

Cloud computing champion John Wheal

“I am looking forward to competing at the area final, and I received some helpful feedback from the judges which I will be using to help me prepare.”

John will now compete in the area heats that are taking place in Southampton in June. If he is successful he will be eligible to compete in the UK finals. The top five presentations from around the world will compete in the global final.

As a result of his success in the local heat he won a cash prize and a year’s Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET) membership.

Manish Malik, senior lecturer in the School of Engineering, said: “We are all so proud of John. Winning a heat in this way shows he has gained real skills as well as the ability to demonstrate them clearly. We wish him luck for the next heat in June.”

Present Around the World is a competition organised by the IET for young engineers and technicians aged between 18 and 26.

Competitors give a presentation for ten minutes on a subject related to engineering and technology.

Video courtesy of Team Locals

Submit your comment

Please enter your name

Your name is required

Please enter a valid email address

An email address is required

Please enter your message