As you may have noticed, there is a lot of building work around the University at the moment. As this work continues into the new academic year, there will be contingency arrangements in place to accommodate staff and students displaced by the ongoing works.
Current building works
- the new extension to the Eldon Building is approaching completion but we cannot plan to have it in the first few weeks of term
- work has started at the New Theatre Royal
- the Richmond entrance is closed
- Nuffield Centre and the Union Building both have disruptions around their entrances
- Park is encased in scaffolding and many teaching rooms are being refurbished in the second phase of the TRIP project
- work will begin shortly on converting Mercantile into halls of residence
All of this means that we have to make a number of arrangements to ensure that all teaching programmes can continue.
Contingency plans to cover the late delivery of the Eldon extension
- the Third Space in the Union Building is being converted into a 200 seat lecture room and, in addition, three of the existing seminar rooms will be used for teaching
- the new Activity Room in the Union Building will also be used for teaching
- the Purple Door boardroom will be converted into a temporary classroom, as will the main University boardroom on the fourth floor of St Andrew’s Court
- temporary buildings for use as classrooms will be installed on the grassed area between Burnaby and Buckingham and also in the space between Burnaby and Anglesea
- a high-quality marquee (with hard floor, heating, coffee machines and WiFi) will be installed on the lawned area outside the Union Building between the Union and the Dental Academy to act as a temporary ‘Third Space’
All of these temporary teaching facilities will be in use until Eldon is completed.
2014 building works
- Portland Building requires extensive refurbishment that will take the building completely out of service for the first eight months of 2014
- The School of Architecture will have moved from Portland into Eldon and their space will be vacant
- The School of Creative Arts, Film and Media will have moved from St George’s into Eldon
- The School of Civil Engineering and Surveying will move temporarily into St George’s while work is being carried out in Portland
- The Faculty of Technology offices will move, again temporarily, into the newly leased Hippodrome House in Guildhall Walk
- the open access IT facilities currently in Portland will move in part to the University Library – to rooms that were part of Foundation Direct – and the remainder will be moved to the ground floor of Burnaby, into space vacated by the School of Architecture
- two IT teaching rooms in Portland will also be temporarily relocated in the Library
- one of the sets of temporary classrooms – those between Burnaby and Buckingham – will be retained during the work on Portland
The refurbished Portland Building will be delivered back to the University in August 2014 and will be re-occupied by the School of Civil Engineering and Surveying, the Faculty of Technology offices and Information Services. Much of the space currently occupied by the School of Architecture will become part of the Business School.
There will be an email/phone helpline ready for early September and updates will be posted throughout the year.