The results are in from this year’s elections which saw 5,749 students turn out to vote on campus and online, representing 26 per cent of the student body. With 25 candidates this year, there was a nine per cent increase in voters per candidate whilst 71 per cent voters chose to vote online.
Following vigorous campaigning, five students have been duly elected as your Sabbatical Officers for the next academic year, representing Porsmouth students from 1 July 2014. They are as follows:
- President – Grant Clarke
- VP Activities – Emily Dell
- VP Education & Democracy – Kayleigh Teague
- VP Welfare & Community – Mario Oliveros
- VP Sports – Nick Johnson
Manifestos for each candidate can still be found online at www.upsu.net/elections. Details below show the voting which led to the newly elected officers.
National Union Students (NUS) affiliation election
The election for whether the Union should affiliate with the NUS saw 2,993 students vote ‘Yes’ to affiliate whilst 587 voted ‘No’. This means the Union will continue to affiliate with the NUS next year (775 spoilt votes).
- First eliminated with 92 was No Suitable Candidate.
- Second to be eliminated with 98 votes, was Edna Ndateh.
- Third to be eliminated, with 249 votes, was Hope Mgbeike.
- Fourth to be eliminated, with 260 votes, was Kunal Shah.
- Fifth to be eliminated, with 320 votes, was Tuhid Ahmad.
- Sixth to be eliminated in this round, with 561 votes, was Kerrie Oak.
- Seventh to be eliminated, with 1,017 votes, was Adebayo Ilesanmi.
- The runner-up, James Bodin, received 1,748 votes.
- The winner of this election was Grant Clarke, receiving 1,764 votes.
- First to be eliminated, with 202 votes, was No Suitable Candidate.
- Second to be eliminated, with 437, was Lewis Broad.
- Third to be eliminated, with 546, was Gareth Lawson.
- Fourth to be eliminated, with 711, was Alex Pescott.
- The runner-up, Rosen Topuzov, received 768.
- The winner of this election was Emily Dell, receiving 1,921 votes.
VP Education and Democracy
- First to be eliminated, with 119 votes, was No Suitable Candidate.
- Second to be eliminated, with 558 votes, was Diana Popescu.
- Third to be eliminated, with 685, was Edward Roberts.
- The runner-up, Lewis Cocking, received 1,694 votes.
- The winner of this election was Kayleigh Teague, receiving 1,882 votes.
VP Welfare and Community
- First eliminated with 141 votes was No Suitable Candidate.
- Second eliminated, with 723 votes was Olamide Alli-Balogun.
- The runner-up, Connar Walford, received 1,408 votes.
- The winner of this election was Mario Oliveros, receiving 2,293 votes.
- First to be eliminated, with 192, was No Suitable Candidate.
- Second to be eliminated, with 625 votes, was Syed Nahid Hasan.
- Third to be eliminated, with 720 votes, was Max Ryszka.
- The runner-up, Jeremy Taylor, received 811 votes.
- The winner of this election was Nick Johnson, receiving 2,089 votes.