If you would like to receive a daily news summary please email firstname.lastname@example.org to subscribe.
Highlights of the media coverage for the University from August 25-29
The Sunday Times
Mirror online http://tinyurl.com/mf3xce8
Dr Derek Rust is quoted in an article about the Bardarbunga volcano, and how an ash cloud could affect us. (SEES)
Forbes Magazine http://tinyurl.com/ogq9mgp
American Live Wire http://tinyurl.com/ocn2nk2
Professor Mike Tipton’s research is referenced in articles about the ice bucket challenge and whether cold water is dangerous for your heart (Sport Science)
BBC Radio Scotland John Beattie Show http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04fc4h2 at 01:10:50.
Professor Mike Tipton discusses the Ice Bucket Challenge (Sport Science)
Times Higher Education Link
Senior journalism lecturer Sharon Wheeler reviews Jayne Anne Phillips’ Quiet Dell. (SSHLS)
Southern Daily Echo http://tinyurl.com/kd34zc4
Brighton and Hove Leader
9 News http://tinyurl.com/pbst526
msn NZ http://tinyurl.com/nesffkn
Brighton and Hove Argus http://tinyurl.com/n4l7swn
Team Locals http://tinyurl.com/qbgr5z3
Articles on research by Professor Kim Bard which has found that research comparing chimps to humans needs to take upbringing into account. (Psychology)
Science Now http://tinyurl.com/o93qpmt
Article on a recent study by Dr Chris Wagstaff and Dr Neil Weston, which found that British people still rely on the old adage ‘keep calm and carry on’ even though it is bad for them and others. (Sports Sci).
Article about an astronomy festival taking place in Herstmonceux mentions that Professor Bob Nichol will be speaking (Cosmology)
Pulmans Weekly News
Article about two year 10 students who recently attended a course on electronic engineering and cyber security hosted at the University of Portsmouth and organised by the Smallpeice Trust (Engineering)
- Article on the next Business School open evening which takes place on Tuesday. http://tinyurl.com/owmvalu
- Report on groups of brain tumour charities and fundraisers visiting the groundbreaking laboratories at the University.
- Report on a man who plans to be the first to swim the Atlantic Ocean who visited the Extreme Environments labs to test his endurance (Sport Science) http://tinyurl.com/m3tyg6t
- David Carpenter, University’s ethics advisor, is critical of a new Warwick University trial in the city which involves treating some ambulance patients with a placebo (SSHLS) http://tinyurl.com/qgwqfnx
- Article about an upcoming beer festival that is looking for volunteers mentions that it is being held at the Students’ Union.
- Article about staff at Morrison’s in Victory Retail Park who took part in a static bike challenge shows that University of Portsmouth Department of Sport and Recreation were involved. (Sport and Recreation)