Information for new students

Facilities and support



We offer you an extensive range of facilities and services while you’re at University and we encourage you to use them. Here’s a student guide to the open access facilities available.

IT services – to register and become a student you will need to get your computer account, username and password. Visit and follow the instructions. Once you have registered and applied for your student card, you will have access to your computer account.

Student IT Induction – contains all you will need to know, including logging in for the first time, how to work remote access and how to use the wireless network.

You can download MS Office 365 for free!

Student IT Support is available via the IT Help webpage and our 24/7 support telephone line (023 9284 7777). There is also a Student IT Help Centre next door to the Students’ Union. Here you can get help and assistance with any University IT issue, whether you are having trouble connecting to the wireless network or simply need some basic IT advice. Drop in and we will be happy to help.

IT open access areas around campus where you can use PCs, laptops and access face-to-face support. We also provide work anywhere services from your personal devices.

University Library is located near the Students’ Union and in the grounds of Ravelin Park. The Library is open 24/7 during term time. You are never far from help: staff are based on the ground floor and we provide online chat and telephone services. You can pick the type of space where you prefer to work: we have bookable group study rooms with plasma screens and whiteboards, an open-plan group study area and a silent study zone. Near to the Library and the Students’ Union is Blackwell's University Bookshop.

Third Space, the Students’ Union social learning facility, is located on the first floor of the Union Building, and offers a great place to study in a comfortable environment and relax with friends.

Food on campus – there are 10 cafés on the University campus, each offering drinks, snacks and meals at student-friendly prices. Food on Campus offers a loyalty points scheme for free drinks.

Waterhole Bar - a student only bar on the ground floor of the Student Union Building.

Student support services

Academic Skills Unit can assist you with various aspects of your academic skills, including essay writing, note making, time management and exam preparation. You can book to attend our series of skills sessions across the academic year and download our essential skills handouts.

Additional Support and Disability Advice Centre provides you with advice, referral and support for any condition that may impact on your ability to study successfully. We see students with long-term health conditions, Specific Learning Difficulties, such as Dyslexia, Autism, sensory issues as well as mental health conditions. We welcome contact at any stage in your application process or academic studies.

Student Finance Centre is here to help you manage your finances as a student. We provide information, advice and guidance, and the administration of hardship funds.

Student Housing processes applications for Halls of Residence, including the allocation of halls places and helping students secure private rented accommodation where needed. We also offer a year-round advice and support service on any issues relating to private rented accommodation and living in the local community.

Student Careers Services, Purple Door, is on Guildhall Walk and we are open all year round. We offer a wide range of services including help with your CV, careers advice, job and volunteering opportunities, business start-up advice, and much more. There are hundreds of opportunities advertised on your online careers platform including part-time work, graduate opportunities, a virtual volunteering bank and regular event listings. We also offer lots of support and resources to help you find employment. In addition, we can help increase your experience by volunteering or supporting your enterprising or freelance ideas.

Work Placement Opportunities - many courses at the university enable you to do a year's work or self-employment placement. These are excellent opportunities to gain experience working in an environment that interests you and a large number of students get graduate jobs with their placement employer. Your first point of contact is your placement office in your Faculty.  

Student Wellbeing Service offers free and confidential help for a wide range of personal, emotional and academic concerns. We have three strands – counselling, wellbeing and mental health advice – and students come to us from all over the University. In addition to one-to-one support, we offer courses, workshops, online and supported self-help options, and the weekly Wellbeing Café at Café Coco.

Students’ Union Advice Service – you are more than likely to sail through your University career with no problems at all. But just in case you do fall into a problem with your course, fall out with your housemates, or just need someone to talk to, then the Union offers an independent advice service at the heart of the city campus. Their team of trained advisors is available all year round to offer that helping hand if it's needed, whatever the scenario.

University Chaplains offer friendly advice and support to all students of different faiths, backgrounds and cultures. We also offer a relaxing social space with comfortable seating and free tea and coffee for all students during the day.

Maths Café offers free maths support to any undergraduate student of the University. We run daily drop-in sessions at several locations across the campus, where you can receive help with any maths or maths-related problem you encounter in your studies, find out more about any topics of interest, or pick up free resources. We also run workshops where you can brush up on your maths skills or perhaps learn something new.



As soon as you get to Portsmouth it is important that you register with a doctor and register with a dentist. We recommend that you are immunised against meningitis C, measles, mumps and rubella before starting at the University.

If you have an ongoing condition, such as asthma, diabetes or epilepsy, it is even more important to register with a local doctor, and you should make relevant people – your tutor, lecturers and fellow students, for example – aware.

You may also wish to contact the Additional Support and Disability Advice Centre.

Local Hospital, Emergency Dental, and Emergency Departments

The NHS Walk-in Centre on Guildhall Walk offers fast and easy access to a range of NHS services, including health information, advice and treatment. Experienced NHS nurses are on hand to treat a range of minor illnesses, such as strains, sprains and cuts. The Accident and Emergency Department at Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham, should be used for more serious issues and emergencies that cannot be treated by the NHS Walk-in Centre or when the Centre is closed.


We strongly advice that you check your vaccination status before arriving at the University. You should be up to date with vaccination against measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) and diphtheria, tetanus and polio. It is important that all first-year students are immunised against MMR. Students most likely not to be fully immunised against mumps are those born between 1983 and 1987. The Department of Health recommends that you ensure you are fully immunized even if you are older than the recommended age range.

Influenza  minimising the spread of infection is the single most effective way to slow the spread of diseases. Practice good respiratory and hand hygiene – remember to Catch it, Bin It, Kill It. For information on how to protect yourself against seasonal flu, visit

Meningitis C – the University strongly advises that all students, regardless of age, receive vaccination against meningitis C before coming to Portsmouth. International students can request this from a doctor they have registered with on arrival. The latest vaccination does not protect against all strains of meningitis, so all students should be aware of the symptoms of meningitis and remain vigilant. Find out more about relevant signs and symptoms.

Communicating with you

MyPort, the student website, has all the information you need about university life. Add it to your home screen on your mobile, to have access while on the move.

Moodle is your digital learning environment, which contains course information, assessment details, and so on.

Google Mail  you will be given your own University Google account when you join, and this will be used on a regular basis to send you important information. Your email address will be of the form and you can keep your account for life, so you won’t have to transfer all your emails and contacts when you leave. Email is the main way in which the University will communicate with you, so it is important that you check and respond to your emails daily.

Information screens and noticeboards are located in buildings and cafés across the campus. In faculty buildings they will display information specific to a department or course.

Student Opinion Panel – being part of the Student Opinion Panel is your chance to tell us what you think. We need your opinions on various aspects of your time here as a student. When you arrive at the University you will have the chance to register to be part of our Student Opinion Panel. As a panel member you will be asked to complete online surveys or join focus groups and, in return for your time, we will give you vouchers or the chance to win prizes.