Discover why Portsmouth is a great place to be a student
Becoming a Student
A warm welcome
We aim to make all our new students feel at home at the University of Portsmouth. In the weeks leading up to your arrival, we’ll send you the information you need for a smooth start including an induction pack and online support.
The first two weeks of term are for new undergraduate students to find their way around the city and campus and meet others during Freshers’ Week before continuing students return.
You’ll be able to explore over 150 student-led societies and clubs, try out for a sports team, join the uni gym and discover our personal and academic support services. You’ll also have the chance to sign up for free language or music classes.
International Orientation Week
A few days before Freshers’ Week begins, our International Office welcomes overseas students during Orientation Week – an opportunity to go on guided tours of the University and the city, get help with registration, meet other students, and discover the support services we offer.
The Students' Union
The Students’ Union is an independent charity that exists to advance your education at the University of Portsmouth through a range of services and activities. The Union promotes your rights and looks after your well-being throughout your university years. It’s run for students by students.
The Union has held the Green Impact Student Union’s Gold standard award since 2012 and is one of the top five performing ‘Small Commercial Unions’ in the UK.
At the Students’ Union you can:
- Take advantage of opportunities to get involved in clubs and societies or as a Sabbatical Officer
- Receive advice on academic issues and welfare
- Meet other students at events and societies
- Access great discounts and tickets to events in the city
- Have your say on your student experience
Find out more about the Students' Union.
University of Portsmouth Students’ Union president
We want you to remember your time at University as some of the best years of your life. That’s why, as a Students’ Union, we help our members run activities for all students; from tennis to rugby, from raising money for charity to Harry Potter societies. We really do offer something for everyone. Your experience shouldn’t be about how much you can afford, and that's why at the Students’ Union we subsidise activities and make sure they are available to everyone. So come and visit your Students’ Union, get involved in life changing opportunities and most of all, have fun!
Activities and Societies
Being in a university society is a great way to learn new skills, meet new people, build confidence and gain experience. With over 150 student-led groups at Portsmouth, you’re bound to find something that interests you. If you can’t find the group for you, the Students' Union can help you set one up.
Here’s a selection of our student groups:
- Amnesty International Society
- Archery Club
- Bhangra Society
- Cheerleading Club
- Comedy Society
- Film Makers Society
- LGBT+ Society
- Surfing Club
- Vegan Society
Explore all student activities at the University of Portsmouth.
Volunteering and Fundraising
Increasingly, employers are looking beyond your degree to what real-world experience you have. The opportunities to gain experience by volunteering or fundraising alongside your studies are almost endless at Portsmouth.
At Portsmouth you could:
- Join the VIP (Volunteering in Portsmouth) student group and get involved in one-off events like Beach Cleans and Donation Days.
- Get help from our Careers and Recruitment Centre to find volunteering opportunities with 140 local and national charities and non-profits.
- Help deliver Sports Development programmes to young people in local schools, colleges and sports clubs.
- Join the RAG (Raising and Giving) student group to help fundraise for local and national causes.
- Go on international fundraising trips like cycling from London to Paris, trekking the Andes or climbing Mount Kilimanjaro.
Discover where volunteering and fundraising at Portsmouth could take you.
Music and Drama
Whether you’re a performing arts student or just passionate about music and drama, you’ll be spoilt for choice by the opportunities to sing, dance, play and act at Portsmouth. If you love being on stage or you’re more interested in backstage work or promotion, you’ll find something here.
- Join one of our five ensembles which sit under the Music Society: Dramatic Musical Society (DMS), Choir, Orchestra, Wind Band or Big Band.
- Take part in performances like band concerts, Christmas carols, choir concerts and stage shows.
- Join music tours around Europe.
- Help grow Portsmouth’s dance music scene by joining the Underground Music Society.
- Rehearse in the White Swan Building next to the New Theatre Royal. The building houses a new studio theatre, TV studio and gallery, music practice rooms and drama studios.
Head to the Student Groups section of the Students’ Union website for more information.
Sport and Exercise
Excellent sports facilities
As well as being home to one of the UK’s leading Sport and Exercise departments, we offer excellent sports facilities to our students, staff and the local community. As a coastal city, Portsmouth has an abundance of water sports activities including sailing, stand-up paddle boarding, kayaking and windsurfing.
The University sports facilities include:
- Two multi-use sports halls
- Grass pitches for football, rugby and lacrosse
- A synthetic turf hockey pitch
- Two dance/martial arts studios
- Squash courts
- A 100-station gym with cardiovascular and resistance machines and free weights
- Over 50 different fitness classes from boxfit to yoga
- An experienced and highly trained health and fitness team
Browse our sports facilities and classes on the Sport and Recreation website.
Over 35 sports clubs
The Athletic Union, which is part of the Students’ Union, has 35 student-led sports clubs from football to skydiving.
Sports clubs are a great way to meet new people, make friends, get fit and try a new sport.
Become a member of the Athletic Union and you could:
- Take part in weekly competitions and leagues against other university teams
- Get affordable, high quality Team Portsmouth sports kit made by Nike
- Access basic insurance cover
Discover the sports clubs you could join at Portsmouth.
Links with elite clubs and coaches
Our connections with elite clubs and high quality sports coaches can help you reach the top of your game or earn coaching qualifications. If you compete at regional or international level, you could be eligible for funding through our Sports Scholarship Scheme.
- Double Paratriathlon World Champion Lauren Steadman was supported during her five years studying at Portsmouth through the University’s Sports Scholarship scheme.
- Other Portsmouth sporting alumni include Graham Edmunds who won two gold medals in the Beijing and Athens Paralympics in swimming and Dan Bentley who won gold in the Beijing Paralympics in boccia.
Uncover the sporting opportunities in our Department of Sport and Exercise.
Student Support Services
We offer various learning support services to help you achieve your best at university, including:
- Academic Skills Unit – help with essay writing, note taking, time management and exam preparation
- Maths Cafe - free maths support to all undergraduate students of the University
- The Student IT Help Centre - help with any university IT issue; located in the Students’ Union
Explore the full range of student support services at Portsmouth.
Health and Wellbeing
Whatever you’re going through at uni, our outstanding health and wellbeing support services can help.
- University doctors’ surgery providing high quality healthcare
- Wellbeing advice, counselling and mental health advice
- Workshops and courses focused on positive wellbeing skills like mindfulness and self-compassion
- Workshops to help you tackle issues like sleep problems, procrastination, perfectionism and exam anxiety
- Advice, support and referrals for any conditions or disabilities that might impact your ability to study
If you need help with any personal issue, from finance to faith, you can find it at Portsmouth.
Personal student support includes:
- Information, advice and guidance for managing your finances
- Advice and support with student housing and private rented accommodation
- Help with finding part-time jobs, career planning, work experience, volunteering, starting a business and more
- Childcare for students with children from six months to five years old
- Friendly advice and support for all students of different faiths, backgrounds and cultures at the University Chaplaincy