Working at Portsmouth
Our staff are our most valuable asset - we want to recruit the best people and give them a great experience. You make us what we are
Why choose us?
It is people that make great universities, and everyone at the University of Portsmouth is committed to ensuring our students have the best possible experience, and one that fulfils their ambitions.
Professor Graham Galbraith, Vice Chancellor
We're looking for the right staff to join us at a key time in our development - under the guiding hand of our new VC, we're looking to shape the future of Portsmouth, to grow and develop as an institution and to become a great University.
We want to build on our strengths as a top ranking University – we are one of only four universities in the south east to receive the highest 'Gold' rating in the Government's Teaching Excellence Framework, while the Guardian University Guide 2018 puts us in the top 40 UK universities overall. Our student satisfaction stands at 88%, which is higher than the UK national average.
With a global reputation for academic excellence, we offer a challenging and stimulating working environment for all our staff. At the heart of one of the UK’s most historic cities, our location offers the best in compact city life combined with a stunning waterfront.
The student experience at Portsmouth is at the heart of everything we do and we are focused on supporting all of our staff to provide the best possible environment for our student community. We are a modern and forward thinking institution, focused on bringing learning to life. We have a genuine passion for what we do and we are always looking at new ways to inspire and challenge those we are working with. We want to share our knowledge and professional experience and bring learning to life for our students.
Our goal is to make sure you are part of of an engaged University community, contributing actively to help us deliver on our aims and objectives. We want you to feel you are a part of something bigger - our students, staff and alumni should feel they'll always be part of Portsmouth.
Pay, Benefits and Pension
At Portsmouth, we recognise that a package of benefits, both financial and non-financial, are important and valuable to our staff in attracting the right people and keeping them. We want our staff to feel valued and to engage in the growth of our University, and our range of benefits supports this:
- Competitive salary, including incremental progression within your scale
- Contributory defined benefits pension schemes - Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) for support and research staff, and Teachers Pensions for our academic staff
- Generous leave entitlement of 32-35 days per annum and an additional Christmas closure
- Family friendly policies supporting flexible working, including childcare vouchers
- Staff discounts and loyalty schemes
- Staff car parking, discounted public travel
- Excellent training and development
- Staff wellbeing programmes
- Recreation facilities, including discounted gym membership, food on campus schemes, use of the Library and staff social activities
- Discounted learning
Mission and Vision
We delight in creating, sharing and applying knowledge to make a difference to individuals and society.
The University of Portsmouth will deliver transformational education, research and innovation by:
- recognising and sustaining our strengths in undergraduate education and growing our provision in the areas of postgraduate, part-time, CPD and flexible modes of study
- building on our financial strength and increasing the contribution to income that comes from research and commercial activities
- ensuring every student takes part in career enhancing activities, such as placements, exchanges, enterprise, volunteering or work-based learning
- establishing nationally and internationally recognised cross-discipline thematic areas that address key issues facing society
- creating a network of strategic global partnerships to support internationalisation
- raising expectations and creating ladders of opportunity for people in our region to take part in higher education
- supporting and developing our people to deliver excellence with commitment and passion
- developing a flexible physical and digital environment that promotes enjoyment and engagement within a community of learning and discovery
- being a proud part of Portsmouth and our region, working in partnership to support and influence the economic, educational, social and cultural life of the city
As an institution, it is vital that we continue to invest in the ongoing professional development of all of our staff. Whether you work as an academic member of staff, or in one of our professional services, we are committed to helping you reach your full potential.
We offer a wealth of staff training and development programmes and opportunities, as well as looking at ways of allowing our existing staff to progress. We recognise and reward talent within the institution - it is our goal to help you achieve your career aspirations and progress during your time at Portsmouth.