Our influence extends far beyond Portsmouth. Discover how we're making a positive impact across the UK and the world.
Benefits to the UK economy
Here are the highlights from 2015/16* of how we made a financial contribution to the UK:
- Our graduates added £420 million in value to the UK economy as a result of the skills they learnt while studying here
- We generated £46.9 million in added value for the UK economy
- Our spending on goods and services supported 797 jobs across the UK
- We paid 4,129 members of staff a total of £148.1 million – their spending added £118.4 million in value to the UK economy and supported 2,095 jobs
- Through capital investment we added £27 million in value and supported 378 jobs in the UK economy
- We added £2.7 million in value to the UK economy through our various Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs), which translate our student and staff knowledge and research into benefits for industry
*All statistics taken from BiGGAR Economics' University of Portsmouth report, July 2017
Benefits to the world
Our research and innovation is helping to make the planet a better place. These are a few examples of how our work is answering some of the world's pressing issues. Delve further into our research for other projects.
Professor John McGeehan's research into a plastic-eating enzyme could provide a solution for one of the world's biggest environmental problems.