We're always happy to show our love for our city. Discover some of the ways we're helping to improve the lives of our neighbours across Portsmouth and the wider region.
How we benefit the local economy
We employ 2,550 full-time staff, making us Portsmouth's fourth largest employer, after the Royal Navy, Portsmouth NHS Trust and the City Council.
This is what we did for the local economy
- Generated £624 million in the Solent region and £476 million in Portsmouth, adding more than £1.1 billion to the UK economy
- Supported 9,300 jobs in the Solent region and 7,900 jobs in Portsmouth
- Made a significant contribution to the local visitor economy, adding an estimated £5.5 million value to the economy and supporting more than 230 jobs
- Invested £10 million in the local economy, supporting more than 170 jobs
- Our Open Days alone generated £1.5 million for the city
This is what our students added through spending, part-time and volunteering
- £209.5 million and supported 4,733 jobs in the Solent region
- £180.6 million and supported 4,270 jobs in Portsmouth
This is what our overseas students and their friends and family added
- Around £64 million in local businesses, supporting almost 600 jobs in the local area
All statistics taken from BiGGAR Economics' University of Portsmouth report, July 2017
How we're improving life in our city
...and that's just for starters
We're doing plenty more and have great plans for our future and the future of our city. See for yourself in our University Strategy.