Sustainability and environment
The future of our planet is in everyone's hands. We're doing our bit to help. We hold an ISO 14001 certification, meaning our environmental work is internationally-recognised for its effectiveness.
To show we mean business, we're backing up our commitment to the planet with policies and procedures covering everything from sustainable travel to sustainable construction.
Our Energy and Environment team oversee this work including our recycling and waste initiatives, encouraging us all to live, think and work from a greener perspective.
We’re busy redesigning our website and this section is still a work-in-progress – but you can still find out the impact of our sustainability initiatives in our Environmental Sustainability Performance Report [PDF] or check out the sustainability information on our old website.
Our policies and procedures
- Energy and carbon reduction: We plan to reduce energy use and limit the amount of carbon we produce
- Sustainable travel: We're encouraging our students, staff and people in the city to change travel habits to improve air quality, reduce carbon emissions and bolster public health
- Recycling and waste management: We dispose of all waste correctly and recycle the waste we produce, and we're encouraging all our people to re-use and recycle more
- Sustainable procurement: We're empowering our staff to consider the environment in all their purchasing decisions
- Sustainable construction: We're designing, building and maintaining our buildings with the health of the environment in mind
- Green Portsmouth: We're inspiring and motivating our staff and students to take a greater role in protecting our planet