Hallmarks of a Portsmouth Graduate
Structure and governance
Knowledgeable, informed, intellectually curious, responsible, self-aware, self-motivated, independent and set for success in their future careers. These are characteristics we want all our students to have.
The Portsmouth Hallmark is a key part of our 2016-2020 Education Strategy. We support our students to gain the Hallmarks of a Portsmouth Graduate throughout their time at university.
Our graduates will:
- Have a critical and reflective knowledge and understanding of their subject, with both the ability and readiness to question its principles, practices and boundaries.
- Think independently, analytically and creatively, and engage imaginatively with new areas of investigation within and across discipline boundaries.
- Be able to synthesise new and existing knowledge to generate ideas and develop creative solutions of benefit to the economy and society.
- Be intellectually curious, embrace challenges and seize opportunities for development.
- Be able to locate, access and critically engage with information, using current and emerging digital technologies.
- Be informed citizens, with a sense of responsibility allied to a commitment to ethical practice and social justice issues, such as equality, respect and sustainability.
- Be effective team players, able to provide leadership and to support the success of others.
- Be able to communicate clearly and effectively, in a range of forms and to different audiences.
- Have an enterprising spirit, bringing innovation and productivity to the groups and communities to which they belong.
- Be able to work in a range of environments, responding positively to new situations by being aware, flexible, adaptable and realistic in their expectations.
- Be proactive in recognising and addressing personal development needs, and able to make informed career decisions