Alaa is a highly skilled academic and practitioner with extensive experience in management, organisational learning, and Strategic Quality Management and joined Portsmouth Business School in May 2017 as a Senior Teaching Fellow in Strategic Quality Management. Since 2006, Alaa worked as Assistant Professor of Quality Management at an International Branch Campus of an Australian University and later as Senior Lecturer in Business Excellence and Organisational Learning at an IBC of a British university. In addition to his academic experience, Alaa is an award-winning executive with extensive expertise in academia, general management, executive education, TQM, and business development with 20+ years of experience in designing, leading, implementing, and managing projects in various industries/sectors. He established and chaired two international conferences with overall attendees of 1300+. Since 2014, Alaa is writing a weekly column in a leading newspaper at the United Arab Emirates. He is a technical member of the BSI Human Capital Technical Committee (HCS/1), worked, and engaged in assignments in 13 countries. Alaa published 3 books, 2 chapters, and over 300 column articles. He is the author of the learning-driven organisation model (LDO).
May 2015 – April 2017
Assistant Professor, College of Business Administration, Abu Dhabi University
- Design, Deliver and Review, modules related to Quality Management, Organisational Development, HRM and Leadership.
- Teaching to Postgraduate students
- Modules Taught: Leadership and Communication, Managing Training and Development, Corporate Performance Management, Organisational Behaviour, Employee Performance Management
- Head of Communication Committee at the College of Business Administration
Jan 2009 – April 2015
Senior Lecturer, Middlesex University, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Course Leader of MBA, Modules Taught: Organisational Behaviour, Consulting in Organisations, Project Management, Entrepreneurship, Small Business and Enterprise. In addition to leading the collaboration initiatives between the university and local business environment.
- It is developed and delivered a blended learning approach, combining industry experience with theoretical frameworks.
- Revised and updated the core subjects of MBA programme, aligning the core subjects of the MBA programme with the current and future trends in the Entrepreneurship and Organisational Learning
- Co-founder, Centre for Innovation and Excellence
Sept. 2006 – Jan 2009
Assistant Professor, The University of Wollongong in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates
- Taught core subjects of the master of quality management, e.g. Quality in Management (TBS950), Implementing Quality Systems (TBS 952), Service Quality Management (TBS953), Quality Assurance (TBS 955) and Organisational Behaviour subjects
- Performed quality assurance reviews to TQM subjects and undertook related academic and applied research
External Examiner/Reviewer and Other Activities:
- September 2019 – Present External Examiner, University of the Highlands and Islands (UHI)
- August 2019 – Present Chief External Examiner, Coventry University London
- February 2019 – Present External Examiner, Coventry University London
- December 2018 – Present Visiting Professor, Productivity and Quality Institute, Arab Academy for Science and Technology and Maritime Transport, Egypt
- March 2019 – Present Trustee, Institute of Commercial Management, UK
- May 2018 – Present External Reviewer, College of Business Administration, Ajman University
- October 2018 – Present Member, Advisory Board, College of Business, University of Buraimi,
- March 2015 – Feb 2019 External Commissioner, Oman Academic Accreditation
- June 2012 – Sept. 2017 Member, Advisory Board, College of Business, Abu Dhabi
- March 2013 – Feb 2018 Member, Advisory Board, Salford Business School, UK
- March 2016 – Present Editorial Advisory Board, International Journal of Human Resource
Development, Practice, Policy and Research
- January 2015 – Present Advisor, Ajaweed Elkhear Foundation (an NGO based in Egypt)
- June 2012 – June 2015 Trustee, Board of Trustees, Emirates College of Technology, UAE
Oct 2012 – Dec 2014 Co-Founder and Chair, Organisational Learning Conference MENA