I was awarded an ESRC-funded PhD from the University of Essex. My research looked at English sentence processing by Japanese L2 learners. Prior to this I taught EFL in the Czech Republic and Japan. Since joining the University of Portsmouth in 2009, I have taught on English language and linguistics units at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. In 2012 I became a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
My research interests include first and second language acquisition, psycholinguistics and bilingualism. I am interested in attempts to unite SLA theories with classroom practice, with a particular emphasis on generative theories of language acquisition.
I currently teach on the following modules:
- Second Language Acquisition (L7)
- Clinical Linguistics (L5)
- Second Language Acquisition (L5)
- English Forms & Functions (L5)
- How Language Works (L4)
- Starting Language Research (L4)
- Business Communication 3 (L6)
- Project (L6)