Former Executive Chairman and Founder of the The Car Finance Company
I am thrilled at the opportunity to work with the University of Portsmouth. I hope to help develop talent and be part of future business success stories.
The Car Finance Company grew to employ just under 500 staff and bring in £80 million in revenue.
Before setting up his own company, Mark served for 14 years in the Royal Navy Police. Following that he worked for 10 years in specialist consumer finance.
Mark successfully sold The Car Finance Company to a New York private equity firm in 2015. He now holds seven open directorships and is working on a number of new ventures.
Mark's work has been recognised in many awards including:
- The News Business Excellence Awards Winner
- The Sunday Times Best Companies to work for 2015
- Entrepreneur of the Year 2015 Regional Award Winner
- National Business Awards UK
- The Sunday Times Fast Track 100 2014 and 2015
- Inspiring Business London and South East Winner - Director of the Year Award 2014
- South Coast Business Awards finalist 2014
Mark Smith can offer particular expertise in:
- Growing a business
- Obtaining finance
- Selling a business
Do you know someone who would make a great Entrepreneur in Residence?
If you know an entrepreneur or business executive who could inspire our staff, students and alumni, nominate them to become an Entrepreneur in Residence by emailing email@example.com.
If you'd like to find out more about the programme, please get in touch.