What to pack
For international students
Here's what to pack in your luggage when you come to Portsmouth.
Make sure you have these documents in your hand luggage, just in case you need to show them at the airport:
- Your passport or national ID card
- Your visa (remember that you must not travel to the UK before the 'Valid from' date on it, and if you've previously held a visa for the UK, make sure you travel under the new one only)
- Your travel tickets
- Your Orientation Programme
- Your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) or offer letter
- All your original certificates and diplomas, as listed on your CAS or offer letter
- Your accommodation contract or letter if you have booked a place in halls of residence – or evidence that you have arranged accommodation at a private address in Portsmouth
- If needed, bring your Tuberculosis (TB) screening & chest X-ray – please check the UKVI website to check whether you need this
- If you're from the European Economic Area (EEA), please bring your European Health Insurance Card
- Your emergency contact telephone numbers
- If you have a pre-existing medical condition, please bring any medication you require and copies of your medical notes to show your doctor when you register
The best advice we can give is to travel as light as you can, and bring no more luggage than you can carry yourself. A memento of home is important too, so make room for something small and personal.
Portsmouth has a temperate climate and rarely experiences extremes of temperature, so bear that in mind when you're packing clothes. An umbrella and a winter jacket are both must haves.
Please don't bring any food or plants with you, as there are strict controls on bringing food, plants and plant products into EU countries. Contact the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs for guidelines and advice on this.