If you're joining a full-time, on-campus undergraduate or postgraduate course with us, you must apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK. You'll also need this visa if you're joining a part-time postgraduate course.

This is part of the UK's Points Based Immigration (PBI) system, and you must attain 40 points.


To be eligible for this, you must:

  • have been offered a place on a course
  • speak, read, write and understand English
  • have a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from the University – this is worth 30 points
  • have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course (the amount will vary depending on your circumstances) – this is worth 10 points
  • meet any other eligibility requirements

You'll get a CAS from the University's Student Life CAS team once you've met all the academic and non-academic conditions of your offer. This will contain a unique number that you'll need to input on your visa application.

Check all the details on your CAS are correct as soon as you can. These include your name, date of birth, nationality and course details. If anything is incorrect, please email cascorrections@port.ac.uk to get them corrected.

Proof of funds

You'll also need to show evidence that you have access to maintenance funds and evidence of funds to pay your tuition fees.

If this money is held in your bank account, it will need to be held there for 28 days consecutive days, and you'll need to provide your most recent bank statement (no older than 1 month old).

This must be an original (not photocopied) statement in English (or supplied with an official translation), supplied and stamped by your bank.

If your course lasts 9 months or less, you'll need to show that you have £1,015 per month. If your course lasts longer than 9 months, you'll need to show that you have a total of at least £9,135.

You don't need to have the funds listed in £GBP. The statement can show your funds in your home currency, but please use a currency converter to check the amount in £GBP.

Using your parents' funds

If you're using your parents' funds, you must provide:

  • Your parents’ bank statement showing the required funds
  • Your original Birth Certificate, showing yours and your parents' names
  • A letter from your parents signed and dated confirming they're sponsoring you.

You can only use your parent's bank account – you can't show funds in the account of any other relatives or friends.

If your government or officially recognised international company are sponsoring you, you can show an Official Financial Sponsorship Letter to cover some of your funds. If you're not being sponsored for the full amount of £9,135, you'll need to show the remaining funds in your bank account.

If you're bringing dependants with you, you'll also need to show that they have £680 for each month to cover their living costs. So for courses of 9 months, you'll need £6,120.

See the UKCISA Website for more details.

How to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa

You must apply online for a Tier 4 (General) student visa.

You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application centre (to get a biometric residence permit) as part of your application.

You’ll have to collect your biometric residence permit within 10 days of when you said you’d arrive in the UK (even if you actually arrive at a later date).

You may be able to get your visa faster or other services depending on what country you’re in – check with your visa application centre.

You may need to attend a short credibility interview as part of your application.


It costs £348 for a standard application. This will take around 15 working days to process, but may take longer during the peak periods of June to September.

In some cases, you can pay an additional £212 if you want to use the Priority Visa Service, which will process your application in 5 working days. You can't use this service if you've previously been refused a visa.

You'll also need to pay a National Health Service (NHS) Immigration Health Surcharge. This will be £150 per person per year, or £75 for 6 months. For example, if you're studying a 3-year course, you'll need to pay £525 to cover the 3 years of study and the additional 4 months at the end of your visa.


You'll need the following documents and items to submit your Tier 4 visa application. You must send original documents, not photocopies or scans:

  • A valid passport
  • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
  • Your International English Language Test System (IELTS) certificate
  • Your original qualification certificates and transcripts
  • Documents to prove you have the correct funds to cover living costs and tuition fees available in your or your parents' bank account
  • An Official Financial Sponsor letter if you're sponsored by your Government or University
  • 2 passport-sized photographs with your name written on the back
  • Parental/guardian consent if you are under 18
  • Academic Tech Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certificate if your course requires this
  • Tuberculosis (TB) test results certificate, if you're from a country that requires this

You might be asked for an institution code. Enter 2HE479 when you're asked for it, so you can collect your biometric residence permit (BRP) from the University. If you don't input this, you'll need to collect your BRP from a local post office.

You might be asked for an official Sponsor Licence Number (SLN). This is 926WMQQ73.

If any of the required documents have not been produced in English, you'll also need to provide an official translation.

Once you have submitted your visa application online you will receive email confirmation from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

Other information

The University of Portsmouth is on the UK government's Register of Education and Training Providers and is on the UK Visa and Immigration service's Register of Sponsors Licensed under the Points Based System. Our Sponsor Licence Number (SLN) on this register is 926WMQQ73.

The application also needs the address of our Information Hub, which is:

MyPort Information Hub

University of Portsmouth

Nuffield Centre 

St Michael's Road  


PO1 2ED 

Further information

If you have any queries about making a Tier 4 visa application please contact the International Student Advice team by emailing tier4-visa@port.ac.uk.