Top tips for staying cool in a heatwave
With temperatures set to climb tomorrow in parts of the UK, Professor Mike Tipton provides five helpful tips for staying cool in the sunshine:
1. Avoid all forms of heat including exercise solar and ambient heat. This will keep body temperature down and reduce the risk of dehydration.
2. Where sun cream to avoid sunburn. Sunburn compromises skin circulation and heat exchange.
3. Stay hydrated. hydration maintained good cardiovascular function. Urine should be a very pale straw colour.
4. Artificially cool yourself with fans. Enhance evaporation cooling by misting the body with water.
5. Cool down by immersing your hands in cold water. The hands have high surface area-to-mass ratio, which is good for heat exchange.