Brush UP is a supervised tooth brushing programme that's goal is to increase the prevalence of good oral health from an early age. The Dental Academy oversees the programme in schools and nurseries in and around the Portsmouth area, providing toothpaste and toothbrushes to children, along with oral health advice.
Class teachers are trained to run the scheme in their classroom and shown an appropriate tooth brushing technique for young children. Children will brush their teeth for 2 minutes once a day at school. As part of the Brush UP programme children will also receive a fluoride varnish twice a year.
The aims of the programme are to:
- Improve the oral health of children in Portsmouth
- Offer oral health education to support families in self-management of oral health
- Signpost children in need of treatment to local NHS dental services or their existing dentist
- Encourage a positive relationship with dental services from a young age
- Ensure that as many children as possible, who would benefit from being on the programme, are given the opportunity to join
Brush UP – information for parent and carers
Here is a list of information aimed at parents and carers regarding brushing teeth and registering your child with a dentist:
- Colgate Duraphat Fluoride Varnish - Parent/Carer information
- Delivering better oral health: an evidence-based toolkit for prevention
- Parent consent letter
- Dental Consent Form (English)
Dentist registration information
Aim to register your baby with a dentist soon after birth or by the time they are six months of age. From then on, take your child to the dental practice as advised by your dental team.
Taking your baby to the dental practice as early as possible helps them to get used to the sights, sounds and smells of a dental practice and give you access to information, advice and support for looking after your child's teeth.
Brush UP – information for teachers
Here is a list of downloadable documents, forms and slides for teachers on the Brush UP scheme:
- Improving oral health: a toolkit to support commissioning of supervised toothbrushing programmes in early years and school settings
- Protocol for the Implementation of the Supervised Tooth Brushing Programme in Primary Schools
- Supervised Toothbrushing Leaflet
Opening hours and contact information
The Dental Academy is open 9.00am – 5.00pm Monday to Thursday, and until 4.00pm on Fridays. We are closed on weekends.
You can contact the Dental Academy at 023 9284 5285.