Business and Management Studies (UoA 19)
Research Excellence Framework 2014
The 47 strong (41.4 FTE) submission to Business and Management Studies was the largest made by the University of Portsmouth to REF 2014. Annual research income for staff associated with the submission grew by 55% compared to the previous assessment period, while the number of doctoral students (drawn from 33 countries) almost doubled - to 119 in the 2013/4 academic year. Over, 27% of our submission comprised early career researchers (compared with 9% in RAE2008) and we were therefore delighted to see Portsmouth ranked as the strongest performing post-92 university - and in the top third of all submitting institutions - in terms of research power in REF 2014.
The submission comprised work drawn from eight distinct research groups: Business Education, Business Innovation and Growth, Business Logistics, Corporate Governance, Economics, Employment Relations and Human Resource Management, Finance and Operational Research. It was accompanied by five impact case studies which reflected the breadth and depth of research undertaken within the business arena – these included work which has:
- revolutionised how flight data from aircraft flight recorders is analysed
- led to efficiency savings in naval manpower planning
- altered the way one of the big four accountancy firms carried out its audit processes
- helped to improve the work-related quality of life of employees in a number of major UK companies
- prompted legislative change and new stocking strategies as conduit to enhance growth and tackle poverty in the fisheries of Central Asia
The breadth and depth of this research was viewed by the REF 2014 panel as having an extremely significant impact in economic, social and policy-making terms beyond academia, and helped contribute to our outstanding impact result.
- 100% of research impact in this unit was ranked as either outstanding (4*) or as having very considerable impact (3*). This places us in the top 10% for impact in the UoA, and in the top 5 for Impact among the 39 largest Business and Management submissions (35+ staff)
- 87.5% of our research environment was rated as internationally excellent compared with 50% in RAE 2008
- REF 2014 established that 62% of our research was world-leading or internationally excellent (compared to 40% in RAE 2008)
- The Grade Point Average of our submission rose sharply to 2.74, compared to 2.1 in RAE 2008 (30% increase)