Whether you are already a student here or think that you might apply, take a look at the links below which offer useful advice and guidance. Alternatively you can get in touch with us to find out more.

Find out more

If you disclose a disability or require additional support for your academic studies, please get in touch.  We are available to meet in confidence, with any student who has a condition that may affect their ability to access the campus, curriculum, teaching, learning, assessments and other student-focused services.

The team look forward to meeting those students who would like to get the most out of their time at University and to provide advice and guidance through the process.

What we offer:

  • Confidential advice from disability professionals for all UK, EU and International students
  • Guidance on funding disability-related support costs; this may include the Disabled Students’ Allowance but can relate to other funding sources
  • Reasonable adjustments  To the academic process e.g. exam arrangements
  • Liaison with other University services and facilities e.g. Library. Student Wellbeing Service
  • Provision of specialist study skills tuition and Assistive Technology training
  • Referral for Diagnosis or to obtain diagnostic evidence
  • Liaison with external agencies e.g. Autism Hampshire, Clear Links
  • Discussion and liaison with your academic department.

Obtain suitable evidence of the disability, medical condition of Specific Learning Difference e.g. dyslexia

See Guidance on Diagnostic/Medical evidence.

Contact the Additional Support and Disability Advice Centre (ASDAC)

Aim to contact us well before registration (soon after you confirm Portsmouth as your preferred choice of University) to discuss your learning needs.  

We try to ensure at least one Disability Officer is always on duty during the working day, term-time, but we are available throughout the year.  

Find out how to contact us.

Apply for additional funding e.g. Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA)

Eligible students should do this as soon as possible prior to starting University. The process can take time and so the sooner you apply the greater chance of having everything in place at the start of your course.

See section on extra funding for disabled students.

If you are a Global student/applicant or studying on/due to start a course that does not qualify for DSA (e.g. Degree Apprenticeship), we would advise you to contact us to discuss alternative options.

UK students are normally eligible to seek financial support from their funding authority to cover the costs of additional disability-related academic support associated with their studies.

If you have a disability, medical condition or Specific Learning Difference (e.g. Dyslexia), you may be eligible for DSA. The support you get depends on your individual learning needs.

Find out more about available financial support if you're applying for:

The Additional Support and Disability Advice Centre (ASDAC) aim to remove the barriers that disabled students might experience at University.

Evidence will inform our discussion about your additional academic support needs in order to determine reasonable adjustments.

Please note: Evidence not written in English should be translated and accredited.

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

Appropriate evidence is required for students who are eligible to apply for the Disabled Students’ Allowance.  We advise you check your eligibility and evidence requirements with your funding body. More information is available on the following link: Extra funding available to disabled students

Further Guidance

Medical Evidence for Physical, Sensory, long term health issues, Mental health or Autistic Spectrum conditions

In most cases, a letter from an appropriately qualified medical practitioner stating the diagnosis and long-term effect. Information should be included if you are taking medication or receiving treatment that will impact on your study, as this will help towards what reasonable adjustments are required. 

Medical evidence should also determine whether your difficulties are, or are likely to be ongoing.  E.g. last 12 months or more.

Diagnostic Evidence for Specific learning difference e.g. Dyslexia or Dyspraxia

We ask that you provide a full diagnostic assessment. Further information about obtaining appropriate evidence is available on the following link: Assessments for Specific Learning Differences.

Financial assistance

If you are a registered student, you may be able to apply for support to offset the cost of obtaining your evidence by contacting Student Finance Centre.  Staff in the Centre will advise you on the process and eligibility criteria. 

ASDAC can offer referral and guidance to students with Specific Learning Differences such as Dyslexia. 

Support might include:

  • Specialist study skills tuition
  • Assistive technology
  • Exam adjustments (e.g. extra time)

What you need to do

  • Obtain diagnostic evidence
  • Apply for additional support where possible e.g. Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA)
  • Contact ASDAC to arrange support

Obtaining evidence

Please ask your practitioner to ensure their report meets the criteria for the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA).

Qualified practitioners

Disabled Students’ Allowances

Visit the UK government website for more information on the Disabled Student's Allowances.

Additional Support and Disability Advice Centre (ASDAC)

Email us

This site uses cookies. Click here to view our cookie policy message.

Accept and close