BA (Hons) Graphic Design portfolio guide
Help and advice
What should I include?
The work in your portfolio can be produced as part of a formal course of study or evening class, or anything you have produced independently.
Please include the following elements.
15 images of your finished work
We would like to see a range of media and outcomes; however, you should include at least five examples of graphic design. Please remember, every portfolio will be different. Some examples of completed work could include:
- Design layouts
- Web design
- 3D work
Please add a short description with each image. If they were produced in response to a brief, please include a description of this.
5 images of research and developmental workbooks/sheets
Please include pages that relate directly to one of your graphic design examples of finished work. This should show your design process and working methodologies. For example:
- Idea generation
- Design planning
- Visual experiments
- Research into designers and artists
We want to see images from your sketchbooks and sheets of developmental work.
Please add a short description with each image. You should include notes on books, articles, relevant exhibitions or cultural visits that have influenced your work.
What are we looking for?
We’re looking for your portfolio to demonstrate your:
- Understanding of graphic design as a subject and its wider social and global context
- Ability to express your creative process and decision making
- Ability to reflect on what is, and is not, successful about your work
- Interest in historical and contemporary visual culture
- Enthusiasm and commitment to study graphic design at university level
We want you to show your potential for creativity, aptitude for design and evidence of visual communication skills. Your portfolio should demonstrate evidence of:
- Enquiry, research and observations
- Original idea generation
- Conceptual development
- Experimental work
- A good level of technical ability (both traditional and digital)
- An ability to select and present a range of work to a high standard
Course news and events
Keep up-to-date with BA (Hons) Graphic Design’s activities on Twitter.