Our halls of residence
When you stay with us in halls, you get the keys to your own place and open the door to a community of new people.
If you're applying to join as a new, full-time undergraduate student, we guarantee you a room in halls if you make us your firm first choice, and meet our accommodation deadline of 31 May 2019.
Some of the perks of living in halls:
- All our halls are in the centre of Portsmouth, close to our campus. However early your first lecture, you should get there on time.
- Every room has a bed, desk, drawers and plenty of sockets for your laptop, phone and anything else you need.
- You get free broadband and WiFi, so you'll always be connected.
- All bills are included in the cost of your room – gas, electricity, heating, water and basic insurance.
- The majority of our rooms are en-suite, with private shower, sink and toilet.
- We have accessible rooms for students who need them, approved by AccessAble (formerly known as DisabledGo).
- All our rooms are singles, and they're yours for the entire academic year – even over the Easter and Christmas holidays.
- Our Residence Life Team is always there if you need help, advice or support. They also provide out-of-hours pastoral care 7 days a week, all year round.
We can find you a quieter room or a place in single-sex accommodation if you'd prefer. But don't bring your car unless you're a blue badge holder. If you're staying in halls, you'll need to leave any pets at home.
Your right to a quality home
We know how important it is to have a safe, comfortable living space at uni. That's why all of our halls of residence are signed up to the Student Accommodation Code (for University-owned halls) or National Code (for halls owned by our nominated providers).
These codes protect your rights to:
- a healthy, safe environment
- timely repairs and maintenance
- a clean, pleasant living environment
- a formal, contractual relationship with your landlord
- access to health and wellbeing services
- a living environment free from anti-social behaviour
Self-catered, en-suite bathroom
Catered, en-suite bathroom
Accessible rooms available
Self-catered, shared bathroom
Our halls at a glance
The table below contains key information you need to choose the right hall for you based on your budget, and whether you want catered or self-catered accommodation or an en-suite bathroom.
|Our halls of residence||Catered||Self-catered||En-suite||Weekly prices||Session fee (academic year)|
|* Bateson Hall (standard room)||✔||£96||£3,840|
|* Bateson Hall (large room)||✔||£108||£4,320|
|** Trafalgar Hall||✔||✔||£127||£5,080|
|** Trafalgar Hall studio room||✔||✔||£149||£5,960|
|* Harry Law Hall||✔||✔||£133||£5,320|
|* Harry Law Hall studio room||✔||✔||£149—156||£5,960—£6,240|
|** James Watson Hall||✔||✔||£137||£5,480|
|** James Watson Hall studio room||✔||✔||£149||£5,960|
|** Margaret Rule Hall||✔||✔||£143||£5,720|
|** Margaret Rule Hall studio room||✔||✔||£154||£6,160|
|** Greetham Street Hall||✔||✔||£153—£159||£6,120—£6,360|
|† Catherine House||✔||✔||£141—150||£5,640—£6,000|
|** Chaucer House||✔||✔||£153||£6,120|
|* Rees Hall||✔||✔||£169||£6,760|
|* Burrell House||✔||£130||£5,200|
Ready to apply for halls?
All applications for our halls have to be made online. We'll send you a link to our online application system when we contact you after you've firmly accepted your place to study with us.