Assessing the Age of Dwellings: A Professional Guide Short course
Assessing the Age of Dwellings: A Professional Guide
Accurate assessment of property age is fundamental to effective appraisal and reporting. This course describes a structured process to assist property professionals in assessing the age of a residential property based on its external appearance.
The course will illustrate, with regional and national examples, distinctive dating characteristics across the full spectrum of the national housing stock from medieval dwellings to the current day.
The session will include a short walk into Chichester for first-hand observations of local buildings to examine the practical application of the principles described.
Suitable weather-related clothing is recommended.
This course is suitable for
- residential surveyors and valuers
- estate agents
- property inspectors
- energy assessors
- property managers
- property professionals dealing with residential properties
- Venue: To be arranged
- Duration: Full-day
Date and time
- To be arranged
What you'll experience
On this short course you'll cover:
- what to look out for: key exterior dating characteristics of individual dwellings
- recognising distinct construction periods: the Age Bands
- the social, technological and legislative influences on construction and external appearance
- dating Elizabethan, timber-framed and other historic properties
- differentiating Georgian from Regency, and Edwardian from Victorian and inter-war dwellings
- recognising and dating the distinct phases of post-WW2 housing
Philip Santo is a Fellow of RICS with over 40 years experience and a regular presenter of residential survey and valuation topics.
As a consultant for RICS he has undertaken a range of project work within the Residential Professional Group, including significant contributions to a number of Guidance Notes and other initiatives.
Philip produces expert reports and is the author of two practice guides published by Routledge, including the acclaimed volume Inspections and Reports on Dwellings: Assessing Age, described by the RICS Bookshop as a “must-read book for building surveying professionals.”
There are no entry requirements for this course.